Whether you are just starting your academic journey or are preparring to graduate, the Maverick family is here to support you as we begin an exciting and successful semester.
We see you, you are welcome here, and we are in this together.
A message from UNO Chancellor Jeffrey P. Gold, M.D.
Navigating the New Semester Guide
Each of you has a unique and important reason for choosing UNO to pursue your higher education goals. To help you in achive those goals, the UNO New Semester Guide provides a quick refresher to help you get around campus and the city; connect with other Mavericks; take care of yourself; and get help you may need along the way.
If you have questions about anything you read, please call the UNO MavIGATION Station at 402.554.2800 to get connected with someone who can help. And be sure to follow UNO's social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Jump to section:
- Mavericks are innovators; 40% are first generation students.
- Mavericks are champions; 25% come from underrepresented communities.
- Mavericks are heroes; 10% have a military affiliation.
- Mavericks are local; 78 of Nebraska's 93 counties are represented.
- Mavericks are global; more than 800 are international students.
- Mavericks are successful; more than 120,000 alumni exist around the world.
The first week of classes can be an exciting opportunity to meet new people, explore new opportunities, and get engaged with your community. Here are some important items to help get you started as you navigate the new semester.
- UNOmaha App - A one-stop mobile resource for news, campus events, and more. Download for free on the Apple App or Google Play stores.
- Durango Days - UNO's official welcome celebration, Aug. 24 - Sept. 3.
- Buildings and Maps - Don't know where to go on campus? We've got a map for that.
- Canvas - UNO's Learning Management System and a great tool to connect with your instructors.
- gMAV - Access to your student email, Google Drive, Google Calendar and more.
- Engage - Get connected with student involvement opportunities and events throughout the year.
- Class Search - Be sure to find when and where your class meets, or sign up for a new class if needed.
- Academic Advisors - Work with your academic advisor to develop your personal academic plan.
- Handshake - UNO's one-stop shop for local and national job and internship opportunities.
- Academic Calendar - A list of important dates, including when to apply for your degree and student holidays.
- Financial Support and Scholarships - Making higher education accessible by minimizing financial barriers.
- Omaha Athletics - A fully Division I athletic program with 15 different teams. Students can attend every home, regular season Maverick game with their MavCARD. #EveryoneForOmaha
- UNO Libraries - UNO is home to world-class library services, including a Creative Production Lab, cafe and reservable study spaces. Read about new resources.
UNO Student Body President Aya Yousuf and Student Body Vice President Jabin Moore answer the questions you are wanting to ask, including where to find the best study spots and where you can find great food optios - on and off campus.
Be sure to familiarize yourself with your Student Government representatives, how Student Government works at UNO and how to become involved.
Everyone needs a helping hand once in a while and that goes for your college career, as well. Make use of these campus resources to ensure that you are saying well mentally, physically and academically.
Student and Academic Support Services
Academic and Career Development Center - Supporting students' professional and academic development.
Accessibility Services Center - Ensuring reasonable and appropriate access and accomodations for all students.
Military and Veteran Services - Support for all military affiliated students and their dependents.
Gender and Sexuality Resource Center - Fostering and promoting equity, access and inclusion for all genders and sexualities.
Multicultural Affairs - Programming and services to ensure the success of all underrepresented students at UNO.
Math-Science Learning Center - Faculty and peer-led support for academic challenges in the areas of math and science.
Speech Center - Customized, personalized support to enhance presentation and public speaking skills.
Writing Center - A place to ask questions and get feedback through any stage of your writing process.
Wellness and Safety
Nebraska Medicine-UNO Health Center - A UNO-based clinic with a range of services offered and access to a student health insurance plan.
Counseling and Psychological Services - Professional and confidential counseling services offered on campus.
Public Safety - Offering a range of services to keep everyone at UNO safe. Call 402.554.2911 for an emergency.
Title IX - Providing a private and confidential space to report any issues of sex-based discrimination or assault.
The Wellness Center and Campus Recreation - State of the art facilities and programming open to campus and the community.
Maverick Food Pantry - A resource for students dealing with food insecurity. Located in the Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center.
As a premier metropolitan university, UNO is an integral part of the Omaha community. Whether your are a lifelong Omahan or you are new to the city, take the opportunity to learn more about why UNO is Omaha's university.
Many Ways to Get to (and from) Campus - Through partnerships and a focus on sustainability, there are a wide variety of ways to help you travel - from taking the bus to riding a scooter.
Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center - A one-of-a-kind facility on the UNO campus “…dedicated to community outreach, collaboration and access.
Civic and Social Responsibility - Omaha is home to hundreds of amazing non-profits and causes. Find a cause that speaks to you through our Office of Civic and Social Responsibility.
Aksarben Village - A historic neighborhood with dozens of food and entertainment options, including Baxter Arena, home to UNO hockey, basketball and volleyball.
Elmwood Park - Stretching from UNO's Dodge Campus to Scott Campus, Elmwood Park is a great place to job, study, or just spend time outdoors.
Dundee - Located to the north of UNO's Dodge Campus, the Dundee neighborhood is home to historic homes, great food and the Dundee Theatre, featuring free access for students the first Monday of each month.
Memorial Park - Home to lucious green space and monuments honoring fallen service members from World War II, Korea and Vietnam.
Blackstone District - Home to a variety of local businesses, the Blackstone District is located next to the University of Nebraska Medical Center between 41st and 37th Streets.
Midtown Crossing - An Omaha destination for food, shopping, entertainment and more. Located just up the street at 33rd and Dodge Streets.
Old Market - A popular tourist destination and shopping district with endless opportunities for entertainment.
- Benson - The Old Market's quirky cousin with plenty of nightlife options for music, food and locally-owned shops.
About the University of Nebraska at Omaha
Located in one of America’s best cities to live, work and learn, the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) is Nebraska’s premier metropolitan university. With more than 15,000 students enrolled in 200-plus programs of study, UNO is recognized nationally for its online education, graduate education, military friendliness and community engagement efforts. Founded in 1908, UNO has served learners of all backgrounds for more than 100 years and is dedicated to another century of excellence both in the classroom and in the community.