Respondus – Lockdown Browser and Monitor
What is Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor
Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor is a product that can be used to protect the integrity of online exams and quizzes. It integrates with Canvas and works as a stand alone web browser that students use when taking quizzes in Canvas. The browser prevents access to other applications and also disables the ability for students to print, take screen captures, or copying and pasting while taking the quiz.
Monitor is an expander part of the Lockdown Browser where a web cam contented to the student's computer records video of the environment before and during administration of the exam. This allows more flexibility for students in not having to find a proctor when taking high stakes exams.
Why this product?
A few years ago UNO investigated a variety of products and based on requirements gathered Respondus was the thumbs up from instructors and students who piloted the software. One of the big factors for selecting Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor is no one wanted to pass on additional costs to the students.
How to access
There are six steps to complete when using Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor in your Canvas course.
- Let students know early in the course that you will be using the LockDown Browser for quiz/exams. If you plan on using Monitor, make sure students know a webcam will be required. Place information like this in course notes of Mavlink and then follow-up in your syllabus and course announcements within Canvas.
- Create a quiz within Canvas.
- Select the Lock Down Browser option in course menu to set a quiz.
- Modify Settings will display all the options that can be used when setting up a quiz to use the LockDown Browser or LockDown Browser and Monitor
- Video Review is used to review a recording of student taking exam. Respondus flags areas of concern for review.
- If students have not downloaded LockDown Browser and they start a LockDown Browser quiz they receive a link to download the LockDown Browser specific for Canvas and UNO. Here is the UNO link that you can add to syllabus, announcements, etc. https://www.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=288643809
- Make sure students have information on the technical requirements for installing the browser. Remind the students they cannot use smartphone app to take quiz. There is an iPad option but it must be enabled by the instructor.
- It is strongly recommended to have a small practice quiz (points optional) to make sure students are ready for the real deal.
LockDown Browser and Monitor Instructor Quick Guide
How LockDown Browser works with Canvas (video)
Prepare a Quiz for LockDown Browser with Canvas (video)
Protecting the Integrity of Online Exams with Monitor (video)
Preparing an Exam for Use with LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor (video)
Technical Requirements for using Respondus LockDown Browser
Beyond the Basics of Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
A Canvas course has been created to assist instructors in learning more about the LockDown Browser and Monitor. Join this course by going to https://unomaha.instructure.com/enroll/MHRP8G.
Ideas on incorporating Respondus LockDown Brower in course:
Research on Student Cheating
How to Get More Help
Respondus offers webinars
Respondus Technical Support
Students who are in need of Respondus support can reach out to the UNO Technical Support Desk at 402-554-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The UNO Digital Learning Instructional Designer team provides various training opportunities which can be browsed at https://UNODigitalLearning.eventbrite.com. You can contact Instructional Designers individually for assistance.
- Kristin Bradley email@example.com
- Erin King firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rick Murch-Shafer email@example.com
Test and Evaluation Scanning
Information Technology Services offers scanning of traditional 5 answer bubble sheets. You will need to login and complete a request before they can be scanned.
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.