OMAHA – Representatives from the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO), led by Chancellor Jeffrey P. Gold, M.D., recently visited three Nebraska communities over two days as part of a community conversation tour.
On Tuesday, Aug. 1, Gold and his team traveled to Columbus and Norfolk. On Wednesday, Aug. 2, they visited West Point.
Gold was joined at each location by Daniel Shipp, Ed. D., UNO Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, and Omar Correa, M. Ed., UNO Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management.
The group met with a variety of groups in each community, including educational leaders, along with alumni from the UNO and UNMC campuses campuses.
At each stop, the group also held public forums which focused on program updates at UNO and UNMC, as well as future collaboration opportunities between the campuses and the state, including:
- Ongoing and future partnerships between UNO and Nebraska community colleges that provide easy transitions from associates to bachelor’s degrees
- UNO’s fully online Bachelor of Multidisciplinary Studies, which is ranked in the top 25 in the country and has 50 different concentration options, including emergency management
- Statewide services like the Nebraska Clerks Institute, operated out of UNO’s School of Public Administration, which offers professional development for clerks in small and large municipalities across the state
- Research and engagement efforts from UNO faculty, like those in the Juvenile Justice Institute, which serves 73 of Nebraska’s 93 counties, including Platte County, Madison County and Cuming County
- The UNO Dreamer’s Pathway Scholarship program
- UNO alumni relations across the state, including the more than 500 that currently live in the Columbus, Norfolk, and West Point area
- The Nebraska Business Development Center, which helps small businesses across the state, including Columbus, Norfolk and West Point
A variety of news outlets from each community also covered the two-day trip:
Norfolk Daily News
West Point News
About the University of Nebraska at Omaha
Located in one of America’s best cities to live, work and learn, the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) is Nebraska’s premier metropolitan university. With more than 15,000 students enrolled in 200-plus programs of study, UNO is recognized nationally for its online education, graduate education, military friendliness and community engagement efforts. Founded in 1908, UNO has served learners of all backgrounds for more than 100 years and is dedicated to another century of excellence both in the classroom and in the community.