The UNO Advantage
Know the O: The UNO Value Story
The University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) is a premier metropolitan university that combines the resources of a doctoral research institution with a thriving community in the heart of Omaha.
With a global reach and vision, UNO is large enough to provide opportunities students seek, yet personal enough to include the mentorship they need to achieve academic excellence, creativity, and engaged learning at competitive tuition rates.
UNO is committed to and engaged with the city surrounding it, allowing students unique hands-on opportunities, internships, service learning, applied research, and other collaborative activities that enhance time in the classroom.
This is the “O” we want you to know – forward thinking, student centered, and devoted to the city we call home. #KnowTheO
- Academic Excellence & Priorities
- Connecting Campus & Community
- Cutting Edge Facilities
- Diversity of Learners
- Division I Athletics
- Emerging Research
- Extraordinary Community Support
- Military & Veteran Students
- Most Competitive Tuition Rates in the Region
- National Leader in Community Service & Engagement
- Nebraska's Metropolitan University
- Omaha & UNO: Partners for More Than a Century
- Our World-Class Faculty
- Place Matters
- Points of Access
- Powerful Network of Alumni
- Student Body Growth & Retention
- Student Support Services
- UNO Student Profile
UNO’s six colleges are dedicated to providing rigorous undergraduate and graduate academic programs taught by faculty who are national and international experts in their fields. All of UNO’s colleges offer unique opportunities in research and hands-on experiences that are critical to gaining an edge in a competitive global marketplace.
- Arts & Sciences (CAS)
- Business Administration (CBA)
- Communication, Fine Arts & Media (CFAM)
- Education (COE)
- Information Science & Technology (IS&T)
- Public Affairs & Community Service (CPACS)
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Early Childhood/Child Welfare
- Global Engagement
The Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center (Weitz CEC), the first facility of its kind in the United States, opened in April 2014 to partner UNO resources with community needs. The Weitz CEC is a unique space that serves to strengthen UNO’s existing outreach efforts and foster future opportunities for partnerships between UNO students, faculty, staff, and nonprofit or governmental organizations.
For more than 100 years, UNO has been dedicated to engagement and education within the Omaha metropolitan community. The Weitz CEC adds a new venue from which our metropolitan university tradition can continue.
Areas of Focus:
- Signature Outreach Programs
- University & Community Partners
- Scholarship of Engagement
- Community & Campus Related Events
From our world-class Biomechanics research facility, to our nationally recognized community engagement center, we’re building unique, technology-centered spaces so our students and faculty are prepared to teach and compete in the global market. Our modern residence halls provide a safe, comfortable, environment for students, and Baxter Arena has given our Division I athletes the home they deserve.
More than $480 million has been invested in UNO facilities in the last 10 years.
Coming in 2017
Maverick Landing and Scott Crossing
- Dodge Campus: Maverick Village | University Village
- Scott Campus: Scott Court | Scott Hall | Scott Village
- Off Campus: Newman Center (Special collaboration with the Archdiocese of Omaha)
UNO is proud to have the most diverse collegiate student body in the region. Over half of all students of color in the University of Nebraska system attend UNO. All learners who have done the hard work of preparation are welcome, no matter age, race, ethnicity, socio-economic status or country of origin.
UNO’s student-athletes are successfully competing at the highest level in collegiate sports in Division I athletics, holding membership in two athletic conferences: the National Collegiate Hockey Conference and the Summit League.
15 Division I Athletic Teams
Division I Men’s Sports
Baseball | Basketball | Golf | Hockey | Soccer | Tennis
Division I Women’s Sports
Basketball | Cross Country | Golf | Soccer | Softball Swimming & Diving | Tennis | Track & Field | Volleyball
The Profile of UNO Athletics is on the Rise
The 7,500-seat Baxter Arena opened on campus in October 2015. This arena houses men’s hockey, men’s and women’s basketball, and volleyball, in addition to numerous community events.
UNO’s soccer pitch received the prestigious FIFA recommended 2-Star certification, the highest synthetic turf rating from FIFA making it the highest rated collegiate pitch in the country.
UNO conducts globally relevant research that reflects the metropolitan mission of the university.
Carnegie Doctoral Research University
The Carnegie Foundation has classified UNO as a Doctoral Research University for our specialized doctoral programs and comprehensive range of master’s degrees and certificates.
Center for Research in Human Movement Variability
In Fall 2014, UNO was designated as home for the first Center for Research in Human Movement Variability thanks to a $10.1 million research grant from the National Institutes of Health. This is the largest research grant in UNO history.
UNO receives funding from national agencies including the U.S. Department of Defense, National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, and NASA.
Office of Research and Creative Activity
The Office of Research and Creative Activity (ORCA) is dedicated to supporting faculty and student scholarly activity.
The community’s support of UNO is simply incredible and helps create greater opportunities for UNO students. Through the Campaign for Nebraska, donors contributed unprecedented support providing unlimited possibilities for UNO, now and well into the future.
Between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2016:
- $44.6 million was raised for UNO
- 4,492 donors made gifts to benefit UNO
- 59% of donors were UNO graduates
- 214 funds were established to support UNO students and faculty
UNO is dedicated to serving those who served our country. The Office of Military and Veteran Services works to support UNO’s military-affiliated community by providing active duty, guard and reserve, veterans, and their families with resources and services developed to help them succeed—whether it’s on campus, online, or overseas.
UNO has a long tradition of focusing on military-affiliated students, from having one of the oldest Air Force Reserve Officer Trainings Corps detachments in the country to our involvement in the Bootstrapper program in the 1950s. Today, continue to build partnerships with local employers to make sure we can help for our veterans find good jobs when they graduate.
Nationally Recognized for Military Friendliness
- #1 Four-year institution for Military Friendliness two years in a row Military Times, 2014-2015
- #1 College of Business Administration: Best business school in the country for veterans two years in a row Military Times, 2014-2015
- Listed on the Military Friendly Schools list since 2014, which highlights the top 20% of schools nationwide that deliver what they consider to be the best experience for military students
- UNO has the lowest tuition and fees of 15 Nebraska four-year institutions
- Most affordable metropolitan university among peer institutions across the country
- The Metropolitan Advantage Program (MAP) provides tuition and fee pricing for residents of 11 Western Iowa counties that are lower than or competitive with four-year institutions in Iowa
- The Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP) provides reduced out-of-state tuition for residents and students of Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin.
Community Services in Action (2014-2015)
- 387,157 Hours of service students donated
- 20+ UNO signature service days offered every year
- 500 University partner organizations
- 723 Internship and service-learning courses offered
- 5,929 Students participated in an internship or service-learning course
National Winner: Economic Opportunity Award
The President’s Higher Education Honor Roll, 2014
It is the highest honor a university or college can receive by the U.S. government for its commitment to volunteering, service learning, and civic engagement.
UNO has also been named to the President’s Higher Education Honor Roll every year since 2005.
Carnegie Foundation Classification for "Community Engagement"
For excellence in collaboration with the Omaha metro area for the second time.
This places UNO among the top universities in the nation for service learning, community service, and civic engagement initiatives.
A "Metropolitan University," defined in its simplest terms, is an institution that accepts all of higher education’s traditional values in teaching, research, and service, but takes upon itself the additional responsibility of providing engaged leadership within the metropolitan region by using its human and financial resources as partners to improve the region’s quality of life.
UNO is located in the heart of Omaha, Nebraska, its roads winding through city parks and thriving neighborhoods, creating an extraordinary connection that few universities have achieved.
Omahans love this city, and others outside of our region are recognizing Omaha's appeal. Take a look at Omaha's latest rankings.
The city itself has truly become a part of the UNO campus. With a population of more than 1.2 million people within a 50-mile radius, UNO both offers and receives unlimited opportunities for collaboration.
The shared goal of Omaha and UNO has always been to empower students and residents, while enriching the global community. Our dynamic and rewarding partnership will no doubt flourish and grow for another 100 years.
UNO students learn from distinguished faculty drawn from the world’s leading universities.
Faculty are fully invested in students and their success, providing a personalized higher education experience.
- 17:1 undergraduate student-to-faculty ratio
- 13:1 graduate student-to-faculty ratio
Omaha is more than simply our location; the city truly functions as part of the UNO campus. UNO and Omaha enjoy a dynamic, fruitful, long-term partnership with a shared goal: changing the lives of students and residents while enriching the global community.
Omahans love this city, and others outside of our region are recognizing Omaha's appeal.
Take a look at Omaha's latest rankings.
Internships, Practica & Career Opportunities
- Omaha offers many career opportunities in a variety of fields including:
- Small Business
Fortune 500 Companies Headquartered in Omaha
- Berkshire Hathaway
- Mutual of Omaha
- Union Pacific
Culture, Entertainment & Signature Events
- NCAA Men's College World Series
- NCAA Men's Basketball March Madness Tournament (2015)
- U.S. Olympic Swim Trials (returning in 2015)
- U.S. Senior Golf Open (2013)
- U.S. Figure Skating Championships (2013)
- Big Omaha
- Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting
- River City Rodeo & Stock Show
- Maha Music Festival
- National Movie Premieres
- Concerts, Plays, & Museums
- Restaurants & Shopping
UNO offers classes on-campus and online, in order to meet the various needs of all students.
UNO has established key partnerships and agreements with regional community colleges, so students can work towards their bachelor’s degree without starting over.
Adult Degree Completion
UNO has designed specialized programs for adult learners seeking to advance their careers by earning their degree or professional certification.
UNO offers hybrids of on campus and online classes for students who are unable to come to campus to complete their entire class schedule. For those who seek a degree through distance education, UNO offers nationally recognized bachelor’s and master’s degrees in a wide variety of fields.
Top 20 Best Online Bachelor's Degree
Bachelor of General Studies Degree (U.S News & World Report, 2015)
The UNO Alumni Association is dedicated to serving UNO and its alumni, and celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2013.
Every UNO student automatically becomes a member of the UNO Alumni Association upon graduating from the university. Alumni can take part in the award-winning Young Alumni Academy to stay connected to UNO soon after graduating.
The worldwide UNO Alumni network includes more than 116,000 graduates, including a former U.S. Secretary of Defense, American Ambassadors, CEOs of major companies, teachers, police officers, social workers, soldiers, accountants, artists, scientists, engineers, and thousands of others striving to make our world a better place.
The network of UNO alumni is world-wide.
Once a Maverick, always a Maverick.
Largest incoming undergraduate class two years in a row
Growth of Underrepresented Students
- 6.8% increased enrollment of first-year students
- 7.2% increased enrollment of undergraduate students
- 7.3% increased enrollment of transfer students
- 2.6% increased enrollment of graduate students
- 77.9% percentage of first-year students that return for their sophomore year
UNO has specifically designed programs and services to support students academically, socially, and physically to enhance time in and out of the classroom.
Where does momentum begin? For us, it was the determination to tell our story—and once we started telling our story, people started to see the successes UNO students have achieved.
And that success is inspiring. It inspires our faculty to find new and creative ways to teach our students. It allows our students to remain independent thinkers who will find unlimited opportunities before them.
The Maverick Monument, (shown at right) was a gift from the Alumni Association on the occasion of their 100th anniversary, and stands in front of the Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Building. This eight-foot high bronze bull statue doesn’t just represent the university’s mascot—it symbolizes the determination, pride, and success of our students, graduates, and the community.
- 15,627 Mavericks comprise the entire UNO student body
- 12,536 Undergraduate students
- 3,091 Graduate students
- 1,878 International students
- 6,188 First-generation students
- 1,526 Military and veteran students
- 7,893 Enrolled in at least one online course
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.