Everyone is invited to enter the Intergenerational Poetry Contest. Each year the contest awards prizes to local youth and adults over 50 to help bridge the gap between the generations.
The event features a Winners Celebration to hear and discuss readings of the winning poems to take place Sunday, Oct. 20.
- Group 1: youth in grades 7 through 12 (group name: Youth)
- Group 2: Adults age 19-49 who attend UNO or UNMC (group name: UNO/UNMC)
- Group 3: Adults age 50 and older (group name: 50+)
Each participant must submit two poems by Oct. 13th on:
- How the world views/treats older people
- How the world views/treats teenagers
Please include on each poem in the upper right hand corner:
- Your age group (1 - Teen; 2 - UNO/UNMC student; or group 3 - 50+)
- Your full name, address, phone, and email address
- Title of each of your poems
Participants can submit their poems by email, mail or online.
UNO Department of Gerontology
Attn: Sigma Phi Omega Poetry
6001 Dodge St.
Omaha, NE, 68182
The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) Department of Gerontology partnered with the Dual Enrollment Program, Service Learning Academy, Thompson Learning Community, the Omaha Public Library and the Nebraska Writers Collective found this contest in 2008 with the objective of providing an opportunity for generations to expand their awareness of themselves and each other.
About the University of Nebraska at Omaha
Located in one of America’s best cities to live, work and learn, the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) is Nebraska’s premier metropolitan university. With more than 15,000 students enrolled in 200-plus programs of study, UNO is recognized nationally for its online education, graduate education, military friendliness and community engagement efforts. Founded in 1908, UNO has served learners of all backgrounds for more than 100 years and is dedicated to another century of excellence both in the classroom and in the community.