A Recap of the Interview:
- Dr. Garcia's father was a well known neurosurgeon in Ecuador who listened to classical music in the operating room.
- While working on his masters and Ph.D at Johns Hopkins University, he was exposed to a medical orchestra, the memory inspired him to begin a program here in Omaha.
- Dr. Garcia worked with Dr. Steven Wengel, Assistant Vice Chancellor for campus wellness for UNO and UNMC, to help create the orchestra.
- 45 People responded with interest in the program in just 24 hours.
- Dr. Garcia hopes to begin rehearsals at the end of August with the first concert taking place December 2018.
About the University of Nebraska at Omaha
Located in one of America’s best cities to live, work and learn, the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) is Nebraska’s premier metropolitan university. With more than 15,000 students enrolled in 200-plus programs of study, UNO is recognized nationally for its online education, graduate education, military friendliness and community engagement efforts. Founded in 1908, UNO has served learners of all backgrounds for more than 100 years and is dedicated to another century of excellence both in the classroom and in the community.