Dining & Food Services
Along with the numerous health benefits, eating sustainably supports a more environmentally and socially responsible food system. Additionally, food service operations are often a major producer of waste. By implementing sustainable dining practices, UNO will reduce the amount of waste generated related to food, food packaging, and food distribution.
While the Sustainability Master Plan does not have a specific goal for dining, it does state that the university should focus on sourcing food that is local and/or community-based and that meet relevant third-party certifications
Food Service & Catering
- Maverick Den and MavREC Café serve Arbor Day Coffee, a shade grown, fair trade coffee that benefits the Nebraska Arbor Day Foundation
- Every cup of coffee helps to preserve two square feet of rainforest and provides growers with a fair wage, increased access to healthcare and education, and improved local infrastructure.
- Containers, flatware, and paper goods are either compostable, biodegradable PLA, cornstarch-based, or recycled paper materials.
- Vegetarian options are available. Vegan and other dietary restrictions options are available upon request.
- Herb garden on the property.
- Try to keep paper and plastic use to a minimum and have switched the majority of products to those made from renewable resources or are easily compostable.
phosphate freeor low phosphorus dishwashing and cleaning chemicals.