Participation & Recognition
ParticipantAssociation for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)
AASHE is comprised of colleges and universities from the United States and Canada who share the common goal of promoting sustainability in all sectors of higher education. By being a member, UNO can share its progress, find best practices, and access great sustainability resources.
A membership to AASHE covers every individual at an institution. This means that all students, faculty, and
Sustainability Tracking, Assessment, & Rating System (STARS)
A program of AASHE, STARS is a transparent, self-reporting framework for colleges and universities to measure their sustainability performance. The credits included in STARS span the breadth of higher education sustainability and include performance indicators and criteria organized into four categories: Academics, Engagement, Operations, and Planning & Administration.
Awarded a Silver Rating in February 2017
Awarded a Bronze Rating in May 2014
Sierra Club Magazine's 'Cool School'
Open to all four-year undergraduate colleges and universities across the nation, the Sierra Club Magazine's 'Cool School' guide is produced for prospective and current students, administrators, and alumni to compare higher education institutions' environmental commitments.
- Recognized as a 'Cool School' in 2018 (full list)
- Recognized as a 'Cool School' in 2017 (full list)
- Recognized as a 'Cool School' in 2016 (full list)
- Recognized in Princeton Review's 'Guide to 399 Green Colleges' in 2018
- Recognized in Princeton Review's 'Guide to 375 Green Colleges' in 2017
- Recognized in Princeton Review's 'Guide to 361 Green Colleges' in 2016
- Recognized in Princeton Review's 'Guide to 353 Green Colleges' in 2015
'Tree Campus USA' honors the leadership of America’s colleges and universities for promoting healthy trees and engaging students, faculty, and staff in discussions about conservation.
UNO has been designated an official 'Tree Campus USA' each year since 2010
Sustainable Campus Index
- Recognized as a Top
Perfromerin the "Coordination and Planning" category in the 2018 Sustainable Campus Index
- Recognized as a Top Performer in the "Coordination and Planning" category in the 2017 Sustainable Campus Index
Midwest Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls (MACURH) "Commitment to Sustainability" Award