Start an Organization
UNO is home to numerous student organizations, each with its own distinct mission, culture, and purposes. All of these organizations provide important experiences and skills to their members and enhance the student experience and campus culture. Below are the steps for starting a new student organization.
The students and advisor should become familiar with the Student Organization Handbook. The handbook serves as a resource and policy guide for student organizations on campus and can be found in the online Student Organization Resource Library.
After you are familiar with the policies and resources for student organizations, the next step is to collect the following:
- One student to be President or other Lead Executive Officer. This student must be an enrolled UNO student with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater.
- Another student to be the Treasurer or Lead Financial Officer. This student must be an enrolled UNO student with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater.
- Two additional students (must be currently enrolled at UNO).
- One UNO faculty or staff member to serve as an advisor for the student organization. This person will need to complete the Advisor Agreement (found in the Resource Library).
- A constitution for your organization (a template constitution with requisite components here can be found in the resource library).
- If the organization is going to be sponsored by a university office, department, or unit, a Sponsorship Form (found in the Resource Library) will need to be completed.
After you have collected the above information, please submit the organization via the Organization Registration form on Presence to present your organization's information to our office for verification. This form is our office’s way of ensuring you meet all the requirements. If the organization is going to be sponsored by a university office, department, or unit, the person submitting the form will need to select Tier 1 or Tier 2 and attach the Sponsorship Form completed in step two.
Once the form is submitted, our staff will review it and will either confirm your group is approved or send it back for revisions. Once it is approved your organization will be put up on Presence and are at that time fully registered.