Start an Organization
UNO is home to numerous student organizations, each with its own distinct mission, culture, and purposes. All of these organizations provide important experiences and skills to their members and enhance the student experience and campus culture. Below are the steps for starting a new student organization.
Become familiar with the Student Organization Handbook. The handbook serves as a resource and policy guide for student organizations on campus and can be found in the online Student Organization Resource Library.
After you are familiar with the policies and resources for student organizations, the next step is to collect the following:
- One student to be President or other Lead Executive Officer. This student must be an enrolled UNO student with a cumulative GPA above 2.0 and pass the Student Organization Essentials online training (see the link in the Resource Library) with a score of 100%.
- Another student to be the Treasurer or Lead Financial Officer. This student must be an enrolled UNO student with a cumulative GPA above 2.0 and pass the Student Organization Essentials online training (see the link in the Resource Library) with a score of 100%.
- Two additional students (must be currently enrolled at UNO)
- One UNO faculty or staff member to serve as an advisor for the student organization. This person will need to complete the Advisor Agreement (found in the Resource Library).
- A constitution for your organization (a template constitution with requisite components here can be found in the resource library).
After you have collected the above information, please submit this application for recognition to present your organization's information to our office for verification. This form is our office’s way of ensuring you meet all the requirements. Please note, if you leave the form before submitting you may be forced to start over.
Once the worksheet is submitted, our staff will review it and will either confirm your group is approved or send it back for revisions. Once it is approved you will be put on Engage and are at that time fully registered.