University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) Public Safety Office and University of Nebraska Information Technology Services (ITS) were recently notified of an email scam that has impacted some in the Maverick community over the holiday season.
Like similar phishing scams, this recent incident involves scammers sending emails from what looks like someone’s UNO email account to apply for a fake job opportunity. It asks people to deposit a check and send purchased gift cards back in return.
These scams are especially common during the holidays. In these cases, the checks are often fraudulent and leave those impacted owing large sums to their bank as a result. Members of the UNO community are encouraged to contact UNO Public Safety Office if they suspect they are the target of a potential email scam.
Always be skeptical if you receive offers like this, as companies will not solicit funds from an employee as part of their employment. Watch for grammatical errors, and ask yourself if this type of email is something you would normally receive by the person who sent it.
- If emails are received of this nature, do not respond to them.
- If you receive an email asking you to review a document or click on a link, check with the sender of the email first, preferably via phone to make sure it is a valid request.
- In the future, if you receive an email asking you to review a document or click on a link, check with the sender of the email first, preferably via the phone, to make sure it is a valid email/request.
- Report any suspicious emails to the FTC, at ftc.gov/complaint, and the NU Cybersecurity office at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Verify who sent an email by hovering your mouse over the sender's name
About the University of Nebraska at Omaha
Located in one of America’s best cities to live, work and learn, the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) is Nebraska’s premier metropolitan university. With more than 15,000 students enrolled in 200-plus programs of study, UNO is recognized nationally for its online education, graduate education, military friendliness and community engagement efforts. Founded in 1908, UNO has served learners of all backgrounds for more than 100 years and is dedicated to another century of excellence both in the classroom and in the community.