The Value of General Education
Students sometimes wonder why they are required to complete a broad curriculum of general education courses outside of their academic major. They do not always see a connection to how general education courses align with their goals of a degree, a job, and hopefully, a fulfilling life. Ultimately, the skills they develop in their undergraduate general education courses provide a solid foundation for success in all of their academic, professional, and personal endeavors.
A comprehensive college education provides you with knowledge and skills that should enrich your life and prepare you to face the challenges of living and learning in an ever-changing world. The UNO general education curriculum strives to help you develop these skills so that you can navigate the demands of the 21st century environment successfully and responsibly:
- The ability to think clearly about complex problems;
- The ability to analyze a problem to develop workable and creative solutions;
- An understanding of the global context in which work is done;
- The ability to apply knowledge and skills in new settings; and
- A strong sense of ethics and equality.
Learn more about the value of general education.