General Education Course Approval
All new course proposals and changes to the 'master' syllabus in the General Education curriculum, must be submitted for review and approval by the General Education Committee.
Courses should be submitted using the UNO-Courseleaf Course Inventory Management (CIM-Course) . University General Education courses must meet all of the Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) for the designated area. Please review the student learning outcomes and the CIM-Course carefully before submitting a course.
Course Approval Process
- Students learning and understanding the concepts, theories, and methods central to the specific discipline being studied.
- Students learning how the concepts, theories, and methods have been used by others in the discipline being studied.
- Students learning the ways concepts, theories, and methods can be applied to the student's own understanding, as well as within and beyond the discipline being studied.
- Students learning how to apply the concepts and to communicate their understandings to others within the discipline being studied.
- Follow all instructions provided on the new course proposal form.
- Complete all sections of the form thoroughly, yet explicitly.
- Pay careful attention to formatting (i.e. fonts, bullets, numbers, and tabs).
- Clearly state Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) in terms of the student (e.g. "in this course students will demonstrate" or "students will analyze").
- List and explain assignments completely, but succinctly. The total value of all assignments should equal 100%.
- Bibliography should include references reflecting recent scholarship, unless older documents have historical value. A standard reference style (i.e. APA or MLS) should be used.
- College, School, or Department approval process must be followed, prior to promoting the course proposal or master syllabus to the General Education Committee.
- Please note: Department Chairs and Program Directors should read the course proposal carefully.
- The deadline for submissions of fall courses is February 15th.
- Courses should be submitted using the UNO-Courseleaf Course Inventory management (CIM-Course).
- Review the student learning outcomes and the CIM-Course carefully before submitting a syllabus.
- All syllabi received one week prior to a scheduled committee meeting will be reviewed at the General Education meeting. During the meeting a review status will be determined.
- Courses that have been approved for General Education through CIM-Course are approved for five years.
- Approved courses will be reflected in the digital catalog, schedule, PeopleSoft, and the General Education Approved Courses website.
- In the instance that the General Education Committee has questions or clarification requests about the submitted course, the syllabus (with questions) is returned to the College, School, or Department for a response.
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.