Campus Fee Information
The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) has policies relating to the establishment of new student fees, appropriate annual accounting for student fee funds, and modification of existing fees. The applicable student fee policies can be found below. Student Fee information can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.
- Student Fee Administration Policy
- Request of Course, Laboratory, and Miscellaneous Fees Policy
- Request of University Program and Facilities (UPFF) Fund A Policy
- Request of University Program and Facilities (UPFF) Fund B Policy
Mandatory Student Fees
Mandatory student fees are defined as amounts which are directly assessed to all enrolled, graduate and undergraduate students, are required to be paid with tuition, and are generally dedicated to specific purposes. Mandatory student fees include the following:
University Program and Facilities Fees (UPFF)
Fund A – That portion of UPFF designated for student activities which are managed by student groups shall be distributed according to an annual budget developed by the appropriate student government organization on each campus.
Current UPFF Fund A Fees:
- Maverick Productions
- Student Government
Fund B – That portion of the UPFF designated to pay debt services, staff salaries, maintenance of facilities and related expenses, and those additional items designated by the Chancellor will be budgeted separately with emphasis upon continuing support.
Current UPFF Fund B Fees:
- Campus Recreation
- Milo Bail Student Center
- Milo Bail Student Center Bond Issue
- HPER Addition and Renovation Bond Issue
- Musical Groups
- Health Services
- Intercampus Shuttle
Other Mandatory Miscellaneous Fees (non-UPFF)
- MavCard Fee
- Student Access and Success Fee
- Technology Fee
- Library Fee
- Research Fee
- Cultural Enrichment Fee
- Access and Success Fee
- International Student Fee
- Distance Education Fee
Mandatory fees are assessed to all enrolled students with limited exception:
Fund A student fees are refundable upon request by applying at the Cashiering/Student Accounts Office during the third through sixth weeks of the fall and spring semesters, or during the third week of each session during the summer semester. Students requesting a Fund A refund will no longer be entitled to the student activities supported by Fund A student fees. Fees may be partially refundable upon withdrawal according to the tuition and fee refund schedule included in the UNO Schedule of Classes.
Non-Mandatory Student Fees
Course, Laboratory and Miscellaneous Fees
- Course Fee: A charge established to cover the costs related to a particular course.
- Laboratory Fee: A charge made to students to underwrite, in whole or in part, the cost of service, rentals, and consumable supplies utilized in a laboratory environment.
- Miscellaneous Fee (Non-Mandatory): A charge incidental to the providing of instruction. Examples of Non-Mandatory Miscellaneous fees are application fees, transcript fees, teacher placement fees, special instructional fees, late payment fees, and returned check fees.
Use and Restrictions on Student Fees
Student fees can generate a significant amount of revenue to support campus programs. Unexpended student fee revenue in revolving fund centers carries over for use in future years. Departments should monitor surplus student fee balances so that they do not become excessive. Large surplus balances may indicate that the student fee should be reduced or eliminated due to a change in program needs.
Student fees cannot be used to support general department operating budgets or to cover budget reductions. Student fees are expended only for the intended purpose for which the fees were collected and as documented in detail on the fee proposal request form.