Benefits-eligible employees and temporary employees traveling on university business are automatically covered by the new insurance when they travel outside the United States. Students, including student employees and graduate assistants, traveling internationally on trips associated with the university have access to the same coverage as employees, but they must purchase the insurance through their campus education abroad office before departing the U.S. The cost is $1.58 per day.
Steven Duke, NU assistant vice president for global strategy and international initiatives, noted that UHCG was selected based on its strong business model and global network of health care providers. No subcontractors will be involved for medical and crisis issues, and UHCG will cover reasonable medical care and costs with no deductible.
Highlights of the new insurance coverage include:
- 24-hour assistance for medical emergencies while employees and students are abroad and assistance with coordinating payment for medical services.
- Coverage of 100 percent of reasonable expenses for medically necessary physician office visits, inpatient hospital services, physician and hospital outpatient services, and emergency hospital services up to a $500,000 limit. Additional benefits for medically necessary services are also payable at 100 percent of reasonable expenses, subject to certain limitations or maximums.
- Assistance with evacuation during natural disasters or political collapse.
- Access to numerous online resources via the UHCG Intelligence center.
A "welcome kit" and list of frequently asked questions are available at the University of Nebraska's global engagement website. Students should contact their education abroad office with additional questions. Faculty and staff can contact the following business services offices:
- University of Nebraska at Kearney Business Services: (308) 865-8448
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Travel Services: (402) 472-2881
- University of Nebraska Medical Center Risk Management: (402) 559-5221
- University of Nebraska at Omaha Accounting Services: (402) 554-2320
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.