Plan Your Stay in Omaha and Get to Know UNO
Plan your stay in Omaha if you have been admitted to the program. The city is renowned for:
- Affordability: Omaha is the most affordable U.S. city and among the best for young professionals, according to Forbes magazine.
- Economic Vitality: Omaha consistently maintains one of the lowest unemployment rates in the United States, and is home to five Fortune 500 companies, including Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway.
- Arts and Culture: Omaha hosts the College World Series of baseball, draws world-class musical performers, and boasts one of the country’s best-rated zoos. As the hometown of Saddle Creek Records, Omaha has developed a legendary indie rock music scene.
- Convenient Transportation: Drive, ride, bike, or walk – UNO students can easily enjoy tree-filled parks, trendy shopping, sports fields, and fine restaurants all within a few short kilometers of campus. With a wide variety of food, cultural events, and places of worship, the community offers something special for every international student.
- Omaha's Eppley Airport: Fly into a great little airport that is easy to navigate and catch a taxi to your next stop.
You can check out current events in Omaha at Visit Omaha.
For Music Lovers:
- Sokol Underground: Punk, indie rock, and more.
- Waiting Room Lounge: Indie rock, local and national bands, shows every week.
- The Slowdown: Named in honor of the forerunner to Cursive, the biggest label with Saddle Creek Records.
- The Holland Performing Arts Center: Draws world-class performers in all genres, classical to rock.
For Outdoor Enthusiasts:
- City of Omaha Parks: Trails, pools, picnic spots, frisbee golf, and more.
- Papio-Missouri River Natural Resources: Hiking, biking, boating, and more.
- Fontenelle Forest: Hiking trails, river walks, and raptor viewing.
For Food Connoisseurs:
- Omaha World-Herald Dining: Reviews of Omaha's best food, not just the most expensive.
For Sports Fans:
- Baxter Arena: UNO's brand new arena, home to UNO hockey, basketball, and more!
- CenturyLink Center: See the Olympic Swim Trials, basketball games, and many other events. World-famous music performances, too.
- TD Ameritrade Park: Home of the College World Series of baseball.
- Henry Doorly Zoo: The top-rated zoo in the United States.
- Aksarben Village: Shopping, dining, movies, nightlife, free outdoor concerts - a short walk from campus.
- Omaha Farmers Markets: Fresh produce and crafts from local farmers and artisans.
- The Old Market: Shopping, dining, nightlife, holiday festivals, art shows, and walking trails linked to the restored riverfront.
- Midtown Crossing: Movies, shopping, lunch, outdoor jazz concerts, and nightlife.
- The Holiday Lights Festival: Ice skating, Christmas lights, and hot chocolate in the winter months.
- The Durham Museum: History of the area's Wild West and 19th Century roots, housed in the former train depot.
- The Joslyn Art Museum: Fine arts from antiquity to contemporary; outdoor concerts in the sculpture garden.
- Lauritzen Gardens: A living botanical museum; many hectares of green tranquility
UNO Campus Features
Enjoy the convenience of on-campus living or live in a nearby neighborhood. Study at the library, dine at the student center, and get a workout at the Wellness Center. Then walk to a movie or enjoy a night out on the town with friends. It's all within easy reach at UNO.
With an enrollment of more than 15,000 students from more than 100 countries, UNO's campus offers international students plenty of ways to study, have fun, and get involved:
- University Honors Program: Challenge yourself in a program with peers that seek the same high leadership and academic standards – all under the guidance of our uniquely qualified faculty.
- Student Organizations on Engage: Through more than 100 clubs and organizations, students can get involved in community service, student government, political and social justice issues, or faith and spiritual groups.
- Maverick Productions: A student-run organization that provides fun and exciting activities and entertainment for the UNO campus and community. Film screenings, comedic and fine arts performances, community outings, and live concerts are always on the schedule.
- Maverick Athletics: You’ll find team spirit everywhere, whether you’re an athlete or a fan. We have multiple national and conference champions with loyal followings. Our teams compete in the NCAA Division I. All athletic events are free for UNO students.
- Campus Recreation in the H&K Building: As a UNO student, you’ll have access to our Olympic-size pool, indoor track, weight rooms, rock-climbing wall, and classes such as yoga and pilates. You can also compete in an intramural sports team.
- Criss Library: UNO's state-of-the-art library and media center offer books, music, movies, computer labs, and a quiet place to study. Students find a wealth of printed material and robust research databases, as well as experienced staff to guide their research.
- Milo Bail Student Center: Serving as the hub of campus life, the student center has a 10-vendor food court, computer labs, relaxed study spaces, a convenience store, and a bookstore. It is the location of many special events.
UNO offers multiple housing options to our domestic and international students.
Many international students choose to live on campus every year. The process for international students to apply for housing is no different than it is for stateside students.
International students at UNO may choose to live in on-campus, apartment-style housing – comfortable and convenient for both studying and discovering Omaha’s attractions.
Learn more about on-campus housing
Prefer to live off-campus? Just choose one of several privately-owned apartments that are within walking distance to the campus, shopping, and restaurants. Homestays are also available.
For guidance on these living arrangements, check out International Student Advising.
Learn more about off-campus housing
Take a Virtual Tour
From Dodge campus to Scott Campus, we have a virtual tour for whichever facility you're interested in.
Tour the different facilities on UNO's campus virtually
UNO on-campus housing typically has a waitlist. Temporary Housing options are available while searching for an apartment.
A few hotels near UNO have special rates for UNO international students and scholars.
Learn more about temporary housing