International and ILUNO Students
- UNO offers more than 200 accredited academic majors and programs.
- We are adaptive to the needs of all cultures and do our best to make sure all 2,000+ international students are safe, productive, and happy.
- Omaha is welcoming, fun, and affordable.
- Commitment to international students is part of our global mission.
- Undergraduate students should use this checklist to get the admissions process started.
- Intensive English Language Learners (ILUNO) students should use the ILUNO admissions checklist.
- Education Abroad facilitates the undergraduate student Exchange admissions. Get started with Education Abroad here.
- Graduate students should get started with Graduate Admissions.
International Admission Requirements
Financial Responsibility and Support
Obtaining your I-20
International Student Orientation
StudentBlue Health Insurance requirements
English language proficiency requirements can be fulfilled with the completion of one of the methods below. Full undergraduate admission will be awarded with qualifying English proficiency test scores. Student's who do not meet the English proficiency requirements may be eligible for admission to UNO's Intensive English Langauge Program (ILUNO). Students who successfully complete ILUNO may be eligible for undergraduate admission. Conditional Undergraduate Admission may be granted to qualifying students.
- Paper TOEFL, 500; Internet TOEFL, 61; IELTS, 6.0; and PTE, 44.
- Bachelor's degree earned at a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
- Associates of Arts or Associates of Sciences earned at a regionally accredited U.S. High School.
- Graduation from a U.S. high school or 30 hours of coursework at a U.S. university or community college may be eligible for UNO's EPPE (English Placement and Proficiency Exam).
- Incoming students may also provide proof that their education has been completed in an approved English speaking country. Check the list of approved English speaking countries.
Prospective International students must provide proof that they have the financial resources to live and study in the United States. Proof of Financial Support is required with completion of the Financial Affidavit and current bank statements.
To study in the United States you need a Form I-20, "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status."
Now that you have been accepted to UNO, express mail service is required to complete your I-20. Log on to UEMS to purchase your shipping label. UEMS is a convenient and secure way to pre-pay for express mail services (DHL, FedEx, or UPS).
- Select shipping label to be sent to the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
- Shipping label must include admitted students name.
- F1 students transferring from a school within the United States are required to have the school transfer form completed to confirm SEVIS eligibility.
- Information on how to apply for your VISA can be found at U.S. Immigration, Student Exchange and Visitors Program.
All new students and scholars on F-1 or J-1 visas, including those transferring from another school in the United States and those moving from ILUNO to UNO, must attend orientation. The most updated orientation schedule and registration link will be available online.
At orientation, you will meet other new students, take a campus tour, and learn about the city of Omaha. You will also receive important information about university services, immigration regulations, health services, culture shock, and special activities and clubs that involve U.S. and international students.ILUNO Intensive English Language Program
Student Health Insurance
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.