University InstrumentsIn order to check out an instrument, students must:
- Be in good standing, and hold a current and valid UNO ID card.
- Be enrolled in a performing ensemble at UNO or registered in an instrumental technique class.
- Show a legitimate need for borrowing a School owned instrument for a UNO ensemble or class.
- Complete the Equipment Usage Agreement and turn it to Band Area Graduate Assistant.
Band instrument inventory is administered by the Band Area. These instruments are issued by and returned to the Graduate Assistant in the band area. Please contact the director of Athletic Bands for more information.
While in possession of a UNO instrument, students will:
- Assume complete responsibility for the instrument including safe storage when not in use. Storage in a UNO locker will necessitate issue of a UNO lock. Non-UNO locks will be removed at the owner’s expense.
- Keep the instrument in good playing condition and provide normal maintenance for the instrument so it is protected from undue deterioration.
- Ensure that the instrument is returned the same condition and in which it was checked out. This includes ensuring that the instrument is properly cleaned prior to its return.
- Be responsible for the care and protection of the instrument while in the individual’s possession. Any loss or damage other than that caused by reasonable wear will be responsibility of the individual to whom the instrument is issued.
- Not give their UNO instrument to anyone. If someone else wants to borrow the instrument that a student checked out, that person needs to see the director of Athletic Bands to check it out properly.
Please remember that students are in charge of their UNO instrument while it is under their care. Anything that happens to their instrument is their sole responsibility per the Equipment Usage Agreement.
Instrument issue will not include the following:
- Slide or cork grease
- Valve Oil
- Water bottles for trombones
- Mutes for brass and strings
Instruments issued may include the following:
- Mouthpieces (separate checkout) as available
- Ligatures (separate checkout)
- Support straps as needed and as available
- Instrument case
- In the event that a UNO instrument should need repair, please contact The Band Area Graduate Assistant who will communicate with the appropriate faculty member for approval
- The Band Graduate Assistant will take care of taking the instrument to the appropriate repair shop
Any lost or stolen instrument is the financial responsibility of the student to whom the instrument is checked out. The UNO School of Music will apply and charge a student’s account for damages to or the replacement value of any lost or stolen equipment and its components. An academic hold may be placed on your account so that all grades and registration/schedule changes are held until the missing instrument is returned or replaced.