Mission and Vision
The School of Music at the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) offers a comprehensive music program within a professional environment that stimulates the highest standards of excellence in music education, performance, research, creativity, entrepreneurship, technology, advocacy and service.
The School of Music will:
- Serve as a recognized center for research, scholarship, creative expression and artistic performance designed to meet the broader community’s needs;
- Maintain and develop outreach partnerships that address the concerns and interests of the broader external community both within and outside the arts and, in doing so, become an integral part of the community;
- Build understanding and respect in academic and human relationships through artistic contributions to the dynamic and culturally rich nature of the metropolitan area;
- Be responsible for maintaining/developing graduate and undergraduate programs that are progressive and responsive to the needs of the profession.
The School of Music at the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) will be recognized as a program of high distinction with strong academic, scholarly, and musical values that prepare students for the ever-changing world of music.
The School of Music at the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) is comprised of a diverse group of individuals sharing core values and working together to accomplish a common mission and vision.
The School of Music:
- Believes that music enriches the lives of all people and is committed to preparing students to face the challenges of living and learning in an ever-changing world;
- Believes that all students should have access to musical events that include a variety of genres and styles.
- Believe that all students should study the function of music as an artifact of the human condition.
- Values creativity and the process by which musical experiences occur.
- Values the critical importance of practice for the development of musical technique, aural acuity, pedagogical skills, entrepreneurial endeavors and comprehensive musical knowledge.
- Values the educational, cultural, and economic strengths of our communities and is committed to enhancing these through teaching, research, service and engagement with our communities
- Values educated and healthy citizens and is committed to offering musical contributions that improve their quality of life;
- Encourages, celebrates, and adopts the principles of inclusion, representation, openness and diversity not only in faculty, staff, and students, but in the music that is studied and performed.
The School of Music will be recognized as an institution where developing music professionals can receive student-centered instruction, and be active participants in the metropolitan arts community.
With the addition of the Bachelor of Arts in Music degree, the School of Music has forged a new path for students to gain academic credentials in cutting-edge areas of the profession.
Objective 1 The School of Music will develop the unique niche of being more focused on entrepreneurship and technology
Objective 2 The School of Music will continue to seek opportunities to create collaborative musical experiences and performances for faculty and students within the metropolitan arts community
The School of Music will be recognized for its academic excellence as a leading metropolitan university.
The School of Music has always maintained high academic and artistic standards for our students. The School of Music strives to be responsive to changing academic needs based on the needs and trends of music professions.
Objective 1 The School of Music will maintain a faculty with artistic and scholarly credentials who promote intellectual and creative curiosity for the art of music.
Objective 2 The School of Music will continue to develop course offerings that will allow students to receive the finest music education.
The School of Music will be recognized for its outstanding engagement with the urban, regional, national, and global communities.
The School of Music has a long-standing tradition of community engagement and is held in high regard by many in the metropolitan community for our musical offerings both on and off campus. The School of Music is fully committed to continued involvement with our current community partners as well as the opportunities to explore new connections with others.
Objective 1 The School of Music will continue to pursue opportunities for students and faculty to perform in urban, regional, national, and global communities.
Objective 2 The School of Music will continue to build dual enrollment course offerings in music theory and other course offerings with all the public school districts in the Metropolitan Omaha Educational Consortium.