We appreciate your patience with and acceptance of these temporary Climbing Wall policies. This situation is new for everyone and we are doing our best to create a welcoming and safe environment for the UNO community.
- Face masks are required to be properly worn in all indoor spaces on campus.
- Wash hands for 20 seconds using soap and water or use hand sanitizer before entering and after leaving the Climbing Wall.
- Climbers will maintain at least 6 feet social distancing between each other and staff at all times.
- Fifteen climbers are allowing in the climbing area as marked by tape on the floor. Check the UNO Rec App for current capacity counts if you want to check on availability before going to the climbing wall. Up to five people, including staff, are allowing in the non-climbing areas of the gym.
- The length of visit is limited to 1 hour if others are waiting to use the climbing wall.
- Disinfect your climbing shoes if you wear them outside of the climbing wall. The Climbing Wall service desk has supplies you can use.
- Clean gym shoes are allowed on the wall. They must be free of dirt and rock, and the soles must be disinfected before they can go on the wall.
- Don't share chalk and brushes.
- The climbing wall is free to all UNO students and campus rec members.
- Non-members must purchase a daily guest pass from Guest Services.
- Guest climbers 18 and younger are only allowed in the facility Friday-Sunday during normal business hours, and must be supervised by a responsible adult.
- All climbers must be at least five (5) years of age.
- Every participant at the climbing wall must sign our facility waiver and be led through a bouldering orientation before climbing.
- Climbers under the age of 19 (18 for UNO students) must have the facility waiver signed by their legal guardian.
UNO Student or Campus Rec Member: Free
|Rentals||UNO Student||Campus Rec Member||Non-Member|
|10 Shoe Pass||FREE||$10||$12|
|25 Shoe Pass||FREE||$15||$20|
|Item||Campus Rec Member||Non-Member|
|Friction Lab 10oz chalk||$18||$25|
|Black Diamond Harness||$48||$55|
|Black Diamond/Krieg Chalk Bucket||$24||$30|
|Krieg Chalk Bag||$17||$21|
Bouldering is climbing without roped protection at a lower height. It is a great introduction to climbing, requires little training and equipment, and is excellent for building strength and endurance.
A bouldering orientation is given to all new climbers in the facility to provide a walk-through, answer questions, and mitigate the risk of injury.
Falls are protected with proper technique and the 14-inch pad covering the floor of the climbing wall.
UNO Student or Campus Rec Member: Free
Top Rope Belay Classes and Challenges
Top roping is an exhilarating way to reach new heights and accomplish challenging goals using critical thinking and stamina. Top roping requires a partner, and both people must be authorized to top rope at the OVC climbing wall. A top rope authorization can be obtained through a belay class or belay challenge.
When a participant signs up for a belay class, they are taught the rope handling skills necessary to provide top rope protection for a climber at the OVC climbing wall.
A participant must be at least 14 years of age to belay at the OVC climbing wall. After completing the class, the participant must return for a challenge no earlier than 24 hours and no later than 30 days after the original belay class to prove they have retained this important information.
Belay challenges are a quick way for staff to assess whether or not someone is a proficient belayer using specific criteria. Challenges apply to someone who needs to verify they have retained the information learned in a recent belay class, or to someone who is already proficient in belaying and does not need a full belay class. Challenges can be done by most staff members, after 5 P.M.
Call the climbing wall ahead of time to ensure someone is present to deliver your challenge.
Belay Class and Challenge Prices
|Item||UNO Student||Campus Rec Member||Non-Member|
Top Rope Belay Class
|Top Rope Belay Challenge||
Lead Climbing Class
|Lead Climbing Challenge||