Band, Orchestra, and Choir Honor (BOCH) Festival
UNO's School of Music created the BOCH Festival in 2007. While most institutions hold separate honors events for each ensemble, the BOCH Festival combines these groups to host an event that brings more than 350 high school students from across Nebraska and the Midwest to work with nationally renowned clinicians. This unique experience culminates with a performance at UNO's Community Arena.
Though a rigorous audition process, high school musicians from across Nebraska and surrounding states are selected to come together and perform with other musicians at one of Omaha’s premiere performance venues. Students have the opportunity to work with UNO Music faculty and students as well as guest clinicians in both masterclass and rehearsal settings. It is a fun-filled weekend of music making and learning with other talented musicians.
January 29-31, 2016
Students who audition for the BOCH Festival Bands will be placed in one of our two ensembles, the Honor Wind Ensemble or Honor Band. Students will get to work with UNO faculty, attend rehearsals, masterclasses and concerts during the festival.
The Honor Band conductor for 2016 will be Dr. Joshua Kearney, UNO Athletic Band Director.
The Wind Ensemble conductor for 2016 will be Dr. Karen Fannin, UNO Director of Bands.
Band Audition Requirements
Woodwind and Brass:
1. Length: 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Scales: Chromatic scale covering the entire range of the instrument and one major scales.
3. Solo repertoire: Chosen from standard solos or standard etudes written for the instrument (or a combination of both). All-state etudes are acceptable.
a. Repertoire selected should include at least two contrasting styles and tempo changes.
1. Length: 4 to 5 minutes
2. Solo repertoire: chosen from standard solo repertoire with contrasting sections, or contrasting etudes that are written for the instrument from at least two of the following areas: snare, keyboard percussion (mallets) and timpani.
a. These audition recordings will be used for both ensemble selection and part assignments.
Students placed in the Wind Ensemble will re-audition at 3:00 P.M. on Friday, January 29, 2016 for part assignments. Audition material will be posted on the BOCH website and will include sight reading and scales. All Concert Band players will have their band and chair positions assigned in advance and will not need to re-audition for placement.
String students throughout the Midwest participate yearly in the UNO BOCH Festival Orchestras. These students have the opportunity to work with UNO faculty and guest clinicians to perform great repertoire, as well as attend concerts and masterclasses throughout the weekend. Prof. Barry for will be the conductor of the 2016 Festival.
Orchestra Audition Requirements
Solo/Etude: Students who auditioned for their respective all-state orchestra may submit those recordings. All others should play a standard etude or solo (2-3 minutes) that reflects the technical level of the student.
Scales: In addition to the above each instrument should play the following major and minor scales (at least 2 octaves, more if possible).
|Bass||A or Bb||f#|
Select students (based on recorded BOCH audition) will be invited to audition for principal or section leader. Principal audition material will be made available on the BOCH Festival website once participant selections are made.
Choir Audition Requirements
1. Introduction: Student will announce his or her name and voice part
2. Scales: Sing the ascending and descending major scales appropriate to voice part. Scales should be sung unaccompanied on the vowel “ah” as in father. Only the starting pitch should be played.
Starting pitch ascending scale
Starting pitch descending scale
|Soprano I||Bb above middle C||C above middle C|
|Soprano II||A above middle C||B above middle C|
|Alto I||E above middle C||A above middle C|
|Alto II||D above middle C||G above middle C|
|Tenor I||Ab above middle C||E above middle C|
|Tenor II||F# above middle C||Middle C|
|Bass I||Eb below middle C||G below middle C|
|Bass II||C# below middle C||E below middle C|
3. Sing: “My Country ‘tis of Thee” (America). Sing only the first verse unaccompanied starting on the appropriate pitches listed below. Only the starting pitch should be played.
|Soprano I - B above middle C||Tenor I – Bb below middle C|
|Soprano II – Ab above middle C||Tenor II – Ab below middle C|
|Alto I – F above middle C||Bass I – F below middle C|
|Alto II – D above middle C||Bass II – D below middle C|
4. Solo: Sing one minute of a range-appropriate folk song, art song, or aria; accompanied or unaccompanied. The solo piece should be carefully chosen to demonstrate tone quality and musicality required of a choral singer. If accompaniment is used please limit the intro to five seconds or less. Clearly state the title of the prepared solo and the name of the composer/arranger.
Ticket InformationComing soon!
The BOCH Festival and The UNO School of Music have arranged with a number of local hotels to provide excellent rates for you and your students during your stay in Omaha for the 2016 BOCH Festival.