Victim & Survivor Advocates
Advocates serve the needs of victims and survivors of sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, and stalking. This includes those who are directly experiencing violence or friends or family members trying to offer the survivor support.
Advocates provide affirming, empowering, and confidential support for survivors and bring a non-judgmental, caring approach to exploring all options and resources.
What does as Advocate do?
After experiencing trauma associated with sexual assault, intimate partner violence, or stalking, a survivor might not know what their options are. Our state-certified advocates are here to help you navigate your options, provide you with support, connect you with resources on-campus or within the community, and serve as a trusted point of contact throughout the whole process. GSRC Advocates believe that it is always the survivor’s choice in whether or not they choose to report and which resources they choose to use.
Individual advocacy may include:
- Providing emotional support
- Educating on resources and reporting options
- Providing information on healthy relationships
- Navigating on-campus and community resources
- Accompanying survivor to hospital
- Assisting with reporting to UNMC, UNO, or Omaha Police Department
- Accompanying to Title IX or Law Enforcement/Legal Meetings
- Helping with filing of a protection order
- Developing a safety plan
To make an appointment, please call: 402.554.2890