Facts and Figures
UNO "Know the O" Advantage and Fact Book | 2021 - 2022
- Ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs 2022
○ Online Master's in Criminal Justice Programs (#10)
○ Online Bachelor's Programs for Veterans (#18)
○ Online Bachelor's Programs (#29)
- Ranked in Top 25 by Military Times as the best four-year public institution for Military Friendliness (2021)
- Recognized by Best Colleges as the most LGBTQIA2S+ friendly institution in the state (2020)
- Second highest total (increasing from 2019, Pre-COVID)
- 15,328 total enrollment including undergraduate and graduate students
- 11,000 Full-time students
- 4,328 Part-time students
- 5,648 First-generation students
- 458 International students
- 2,166 New first-year students
- 862 First-Generation students
- 1,634 Military/veteran including dependents
- 1,185 Total Transfer students
- 47% First-Generation students
- 31.1% Ethnically Diverse
- Largest graduate student enrollment in UNO history
- 3,131 Total graduate students
- 725 New graduate students
- 302 International students
- 15,328 Total Students
- 66 Countries represented
- 12,659 Full-Time Equivalent
- 489 students enrolled in MAP
- 27 students enrolled in MSEP
- Students come from:
○ Texas & Missouri
- 4,051 Underrepresented students
- 41.3% of total undergraduate pop are first-generation
- 2,096 total Faculty and Staff
- 21:1 undergraduate student-to-faculty ratio
- 8:1 graduate student-to-faculty ratio
All of UNO’s colleges offer unique opportunities in research and hands-on experiences that are critical to gaining an edge in a competitive global marketplace.
UNO Awarded Carnegie Classification
In 2015, the Carnegie Foundation named the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) as one of the nation’s leaders in engagement and outreach with a Community Engagement Classification.
As one of just 74 institutions named to the elective classification when it launched in 2006, UNO is now one of 361 institutions nationwide, and just three Nebraska universities or colleges, to be recognized.
The Carnegie Foundation's Classification for Community Engagement is an elective classification; it is based on voluntary participation by institutions and is an evidence-based documentation of institutional practice that is used in a process of self-assessment and quality improvement.
- The Office of Research and Creative Activity (ORCA) is dedicated to supporting faculty and student scholarly activity. Over 220 undergraduate and graduate students representing all UNO colleges and the UNL College of Engineering presented projects at the 13th Annual Student Research and Creative Activity Fair.
- Over $19 million of total funding given to UNO focused on public service or applied research.
- Federal sources of funding represented 74% of UNO’s total fiscal year 2020 awards. Another 12% of awards came from state agencies.
- The National Counterterrorism, Innovation, Technology, and Education (NCITE) Center is the largest grant award in NU history. The ten-year, $36.5 million award, led by Dr. Gina Ligon, provides access to innovation, technology, and education for counterterrorism professionals working within the Homeland Security Enterprise.
- Over $1 million was awarded to the NebraskaMATH Omaha Noyce Partnership. A teacher scholarship program designed to respond to the critical need for K-12 teachers of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) by encouraging talented STEM students and professionals to pursue teaching careers in elementary and secondary schools.
External Grant Opportunities
- Number Awarded: 224
- Amount Awarded: $22,201,817
Internal Grant Opportunities
- Number Awarded: 128
- Amount Awarded: $523,409
UNO's tuition is one of the most affordable in the region. We want everyone who desires a higher education to be able to obtain one.
- Regents' Scholarship: $7,599,395
- Chancellor's Scholarship: $874,506
- Dean's Scholarship: $360,000
- Graduate Regents' Scholarship: $151,002
- Graduate Assistantships: $,,053,372
- 301,428 hours of service donated to a wide range of community projects
- 6,498 unique students participated in courses with community engagement components
- 677 classes with a community engagement component
- 600+ community organizations partner with UNO in a variety of focus areas
- C.C. and Mabel L. Criss Library houses the world’s largest and only community engagement library with over 10,000 volumes of scholarly work