Brass at UNO
Brass majors at UNO are taught by a faculty of dedicated teachers and performers, and our students are provided with a wide array of performance opportunities. The programs of study for brass majors are designed to develop versatile performers in a variety of idioms including solo and chamber literature, orchestra, and jazz improvisation.
Undergraduate (B.M. Performance/Education; B.A. Music Studies)
Prepare two solo pieces of contrasting style or two pieces from two different musical periods. The audition committee may also ask for all major and minor scales and sight reading.
For trumpet/trombone players interested in jazz, see additional requirements under "Jazz Winds." Contact Jazz Area Coordinator, Dr. Pete Madsen, with questions regarding jazz auditions (email@example.com).
M.M. Music Performance (Graduate)
- Charlier Etude No. 2
- Hummel Concerto for Trumpet, Mvt. I
- Third piece of applicant's choice (Recommended: Baroque literature for piccolo trumpet, 20th century trumpet literature, or jazz improvisiation)
- Pines of Rome (offstage solo)
- Pictures at an Exhibition, Promenade
- Demonstrate mastery of all major and minor forms of scales, two octaves where possible
For trumpet players interested in jazz, see additional requirements under "Jazz Winds." Contact Jazz Area Coordinator, Dr. Pete Madsen, with questions regarding jazz auditions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Solo repertoire: selections from various eras, typically 3 to 4 titles (may be a single movement from a concerto or sonata). Selections should include a first movement from both a Mozart Concerto and a R. Strauss Concerto; also something from the 20th century repertoire. Other selections are free—choose something that demonstrates your strengths
- Standard orchestral excerpts from different eras demonstrating both high and low horn abilities
- Competence in all major and minor scales and arpeggios, two octaves each
- Bozza "Ballade"
- Hindemith "Sonata," Mvts. III, IV
- Bozza "New Orleans"
- Levedev "Concerto in One Movement"
- A solo (your choice) by Herbert L. Clarke
- Curnow "Rhapsody"
- Strauss "Don Quixote" excerpt
- Excerpts from Holst's "Planets" - Jupiter and Uranus
- Two contrasting movements from the standard solo repertoire.
- Three standard orchestral or wind band excepts.
The 2018 UNO Brass Day featuring Joe Burgstaller will take place on Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2018. Click here for more information.
Questions? Contact Brass Area Coordinator, Prof. Jason Johnson, at email@example.com.