The Maverick Machine
Joining UNO's Pep Band—The Maverick Machine
- Apply and be admitted to the University of Nebraska at Omaha. If you are a non-UNO student that wishes to participate, please contact the Director of Athletic Bands, Dr. Joshua Kearney, directly by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the online audition scheduling form (click here)
- Download and prepare the excerpts listed below in the "Audition Requirements" section of the website.
- 2 major scales of your choice, at least 2 octaves, demonstrating range and/or technical proficiency.
- Download and prepare the excerpt(s) for your instrument. Audition excerpts can be found here.
- Bass guitarists should be able to read sheet music—not just lead sheets. An amp will be provided. Please bring your own guitar cable.
- You are expected to perform accompaniment to three recorded (provided) arrangements. Recordings can be found here.
- Drumset players should be familiar with written musical notation. Upon acceptance into the Maverick Machine, drumset players will receive a lead trumpet book to guide their accompaniment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can join the Maverick Machine?
Membership in the Maverick Machine is open to all students on the UNO campus. You do not have to be a music major to participate! Members of the Maverick Machine represent all academic disciplines on campus. Non-UNO students are eligible for participation on a case-by-case basis. Email Dr. Kearney at email@example.com for more information about participation as a non-UNO student. The Maverick Machine uses the following instruments: piccolo, clarinet, alto and tenor saxophone, trumpet, mellophone/horn, trombone, baritone, tuba, drumset, and electric bass (guitar).
Do I have to audition to be a member of the Maverick Machine?
Yes. All members are selected by audition. These auditions take place at the beginning of the fall semester. Registration for auditions will open in mid- to late-August.
At which sports do the Maverick Machine perform?
The Maverick Machine plays at Volleyball, Men's and Women's Basketball, and our nationally-ranked hockey team. Occasionally the Maverick Machine may be asked to perform at special functions. In 2016 the Maverick Machine played for President Barack Obama's historic visit to the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
Do I get paid?
Absolutely! Due to the generous support of the University, the UNO Athletic Bands are pleased to offer each member of the Maverick Machine $500 at the conclusion of the season.
What if I don't own a piccolo, mellophone, tenor saxophone, marching baritone, or tuba?
No worries! The UNO Athletic Bands have an extensive array of instruments available for check-out in order to participate in the Athletic Band program. However, the Athletic Bands do not provide electric bass guitars at this time.
When does the Maverick Machine rehearse? Where?
The Maverick Machine rehearses weekly on Tuesday evenings from 8:00-9:30 PM at the discretion of the Director in the Strauss Performing Arts Center room 109.
Is there a cost to participate in the Maverick Machine?
There is no cost to participate in the Maverick Machine.
I am a Music Education major at UNO. Does Maverick Machine fulfill my marching band requirement?
No! All band Music Education majors must participate in the Maverick Marching Band for 2 years in order to fulfill their degree requirements.
Help! You didn't answer my question!
Please direct further questions to Dr. Joshua Kearney, UNO Director of Athletic Bands, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (402) 554-3602.
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.