Voice at UNO
The School of Music at the University of Nebraska at Omaha’s offers a substantial voice program with a wide range of experiences for voice majors. Our dynamic, nationally and internationally recognized voice and choral faculty have extensive performance backgrounds and offer outstanding individualized instruction in a creative and supportive environment. Voice students have the opportunity to participate in specialized workshops, masterclasses by renowned guest artists, and international/national conferences, competitions, and tours. Students perform in a variety of ensembles including the University Chorus, Concert Choir, Opera, and chamber groups. Students are frequently selected as soloists to perform with the UNO large and small ensembles.
Undergraduate (B.M. Performance/Education; B.A. Music Studies)
Prepare two songs from the standard repertoire (for example, selection from First Book/Second Book of Solo Songs complied by Joan Boytim; 26 or 24 Italian Songs & Arias; etc.).
- The songs should be in contrasting styles.
- All songs must be performed from memory.
- At least one should be in English, and one in Italian, German, or French.
- Songs should show potential, interpretive ability, and musicianship.
- No a cappella or prerecorded music please. All auditions must be performed with a pianist. UNO can arrange for a professional collaborative pianist to play for your audition. You may bring your own collaborative pianist, or you may request one from the School of Music for an additional fee to paid directly to the pianist at the time of the audition.
M.M. Music Performance (Graduate)
- Perform 20 minutes of music.
- All music must be performed from memory.
- Languages must include: English, French, German, and Italian.
- Repertoire required: art songs, one opera aria, one Baroque or Classical aria, a 20th or 21st century work.
- You may bring your own collaborative pianist, or you may request one from the School of Music for an additional fee to paid directly to the pianist at the time of the audition.
High School voice students throughout the Midwest participate yearly in the UNO Band, Orchestra, and Choir Honor Festival (BOCH Festival). These students have the opportunity to work with UNO faculty and guest clinicians to perform great repertoire, as well as attend concerts and masterclasses throughout the weekend.
Questions? Contact Voice Area Coordinator, Prof. Shelby VanNordstrand, at email@example.com.