Core Course Requirement
To gain admission to UNO, applicants must complete the core course requirement AND performance requirement. For information regarding the performance requirement, visit the First-Year Admission Requirements.
There are also specific requirements for those who have been homeschooled who have their General Educational Diploma (GED).
If you are missing one or more of the requirements below, please see the admission by review section in our Forms, Policies, and Conditions page.
There are 16 units of required academic courses required for admission to the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO). A unit is equal to one year of high school study or a semester or quarter of college coursework.
|English||4||All units must include intensive reading and writing experience. Innovative interdisciplinary courses and courses in speech and journalism may be substituted if they include substantial amounts of reading and writing.|
|Mathematics||3||Must include Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry.|
|Social Sciences||3||At least one unit of American and/or world history; one additional unit of history, American Government, and/or geography; and third unit of social science discipline or subject.|
|Natural Science||3||At least two of the three units must be selected from biology, chemistry, physics and earth sciences. One of these units must include laboratory instruction.|
|Foreign Language||2||Must be two years of the same foreign language. Students who are unable to take two years of foreign language in high school may still qualify for admission. Such students will be required to take one or two semesters of foreign language depending on the number of units completed at the high school.|
|Additional Academic Requirement||1||One year chosen from any of the above academic disciplines.|
Applicants are also encouraged to use the Nebraska High Schools: Core Course Equivalencies page to find out exactly how your high school classes count towards these core course requirements.
For students who are enrolled in AP or IB courses, please refer to the following links to learn how your scores/courses are applied:
Applicants who have completed the equivalent academic training via a General Education Diploma (GED) or applicants who have been homeschooled must meet the above criteria for admission to the University of Nebraska at Omaha. See below for more information.
Students who have been homeschooled will be reviewed and are expected to meet the 16 core courses and the performance requirement. Homeschooled students are recommended to follow a curriculum of courses which parallel the University of Nebraska at Omaha core course requirements (listed above).
Students who have been homeschooled must submit the following documents to be considered for admission to the UNO:
- Students must provide a copy of the Letter of Verification from the state Department of Education confirming the parent has filed the necessary paperwork.
- A typed transcript with the following information is required:
- All course work completed and in progress listed in semester format showing the scope and sequence of the instructional program
- The unit of credit earned (i.e, semester, 0.5 or half a year versus a two-semester, 1.00 or a year-long course)
- Grades earned in each course along with term and cumulative GPA
- Anticipated or final completion date
- The signature of homeschool administrator
- A grade legend is recommended.
- Program information used (e.g. Saxon, A Beka) or textbook information including titles and authors listed by course.
- Description of how the student learned the verbal component of the language (i.e., tutor, tapes, etc.). Students who have not taken foreign language courses in a classroom setting or with a professional tutor will be required to take the foreign language placement exam with the UNO Testing Center.
- Detailed description of how the applicant fulfilled the natural science laboratory requirement.
- Students who completed courses in a school other than their homeschool (traditional high school and/or college) must also submit an official copy of their academic transcript from this school.
Please note: Additional supporting documents may be requested by the University to assist the admissions office in making an admission decision.
Each applicant's file will be reviewed and considered for admission on an individual basis by a committee of University representatives. Applicants who do not qualify for admission by meeting all entrance criteria may be considered for admission to the University under our policy of Admission by Review.
Homeschooled students who have not met the above admission requirements or have not complied with state regulations regarding accreditation may be required to submit GED scores.
General Educational Diploma (GED)
The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) acknowledges the General Educational Diploma (GED) as equivalent to a high school diploma. Applicants at least 18 years of age who successfully complete the GED will be reviewed for meeting the core course and performance requirements. Some credit can be assigned to these requirements based on subject area scores on the GED exam but this alone will not be sufficient to meet the core course requirements.
Courses from any high school or college level work completed in conjunction with the GED exam may provide enough academic background for admission to be granted. Official transcripts from all secondary or postsecondary institutions attended are required. Students who are under the age of 21 are required to provide official ACT or SAT results.
Applicants who do not qualify for Admission by meeting all entrance criteria may be considered for admission to the University under our Admission by Review.