We're excited you're considering the University of Nebraska Omaha! Here you will find our policy on residency requirements for tuition purposes.
Nebraska Residency Requirements
Important information for residency applicants:
- Qualifying for residency for tuition purposes at the University of Nebraska differs from what is normally required to be considered a "resident" of the State of Nebraska. A person may be considered a "resident" of Nebraska and still be Non-Resident for Tuition purposes.
- Any student who has lived in the state of Nebraska for 18 months or less, or provides any information that indicates that he/ she is possibly not a Nebraska resident for tuition purposes, will be admitted as a non-resident and will need to apply to change his / her status.
- It is the student's responsibility to contest the initial residency decision and meet all appropriate deadlines if they feel the initial determination was wrong. The burden of proof lies solely with the student.
- Mere physical presence in the State of Nebraska, regardless of length of stay, is NOT adequate to prove residency for tuition purposes. Likewise, owning property in the state will NOT result in automatic residency approval.
- Enrollment at any community college, college or university in the State of Nebraska during the 12 months prior to the term for which residency is sought can adversely affect your eligibility. Transcripts from each institution will need to be provided before a final residency decision can be made.
- Complete and submit an Application for Residency Classification.
- Residency questions should be sent to to appropriate office:
|UNO Undergraduate Students
||UNO Graduate Students
Undergraduate Admissions Office
Eppley Bldg., Rm 111
6001 Dodge Street
Omaha, NE 68182-0286
402.554.2393 or 800.858.8648
Graduate Studies Office
Eppley Bldg,. Rm. 203
6001 Dodge Street
Omaha, NE 68182-0209
402.554.2341 or 800.858.8648
Residency (Tuition) Programs
Metropolitan Advantage Program (MAP)
The University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) offers residents or high school graduates of several southwestern Iowa counties the opportunity to attend UNO at significantly reduced tuition rates through an initiative called the Metropolitan Advantage Program (MAP).
MAP counties include: Cass, Crawford, Fremont, Harrison, Mills, Monona, Montgomery, Page, Pottawattamie, Shelby, and Woodbury
Visit the Metropolitan Advantage Program (MAP) website.
Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP)
UNO participates in the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP), an interstate initiative established by the Midwestern Higher Education Commission to increase educational opportunities for students in its member states. MSEP is an interstate educational opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students in the states of Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and Wisconsin!
This program enables residents from these 9 states to enroll in participating institutions at reduced tuition levels. Tuition for MSEP students attending participating public institutions is equal to no more than 150% of the regular in-state tuition rate.
Visit the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP) website.
The Nebraska Legacy Scholarship provides the differential between in-state and out-of-state tuition to incoming freshmen that are children of University of Nebraska graduates. Students eligible for review must rank in the upper one-third of their graduating class or have a minimum ACT composite of 24 or higher (or equivalent on the SAT) and fill out the Legacy Scholarship Application. The scholarship is renewable for up to four years. Please contact the Office of Financial Support and Scholarships for more information.