Projects and Initiatives
- Recycling: Improving readability and functionality of recycling literature already present on campus.
- Campus Compost: Providing composting options on campus.
- Pollinator Garden: A Pollinator Garden near Criss Library that is maintained and grown by our committee.
- Sustainability Tuesdays: Series of videos educating, inspiring, and informing about the state of Sustainability on our campus.
- Straw Initiative: A pilot program in the Milo Bail Student Center that made straws available upon request during the fall of 2019.
- Food Services: The committee has advocated for the possibility for the cafeteria to sell halal food, and other inclusive food options to accommodate students of various backgrounds. The discussion has also evolved into discussing food prices and advocating for budget friendly options to ensure students have healthy and affordable food options.
- ASH Study Areas: Students on the committee have also worked with the College of Arts and Sciences administration to discuss options about improving the study areas in ASH to create a welcoming and efficient environment for studying in the college.
- Enrollment: The committee is interested in working with student organizations, including Student Government, to help with the enrollment process for students by helping with the transition from high school to college by showcasing groups they could be a member of, along with providing encouragement to become a Maverick!
- Turbo Vote: a tool that would facilitate data tracking of voter engagement on our campus. The grant will be supported by various offices, including Student Government, to improve voter turnout on campus.
- Pregnancy Parking Stalls: A project aimed at creating parking stall for people who are pregnant on campus to ensure an inclusive and accessible campus for all.
- College of Education Praxis Core: A book drive hosted to allow students access to prep books for College of Education students. The book drive has evolved into conversations about student advocacy and how the colleges can best assist students in successfully passing entrance exams.
Student Services’ main goal is to help make UNO a better campus for all students by promoting inclusive policies and programming. The committee takes a comprehensive approach to improving the lives of students while they complete their education. Our long-term vision is to foster a campus where all are equally supported by UNO’s students’ services.
- Maverick Clothing Closet: A project that addresses clothing insecurity. The project is a partnership between various senators and is still a work-in-progress. The clothing closet will be used for students to help them find sustainable and professional clothing for professional development events.
- Accessibility Services: The committee has been in dialogue with Accessibility Services to address student concerns and how to best make sure sidewalks accommodate students, especially during severe weather.