The UNO Advantage
Know the O: The UNO Value Story
The University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) is a premier metropolitan university that combines the resources of a doctoral research institution with a thriving community in the heart of Omaha.
With a global reach and vision, UNO is large enough to provide opportunities students seek, yet personal enough to include the mentorship they need to achieve academic excellence, creativity, and engaged learning at competitive tuition rates.
UNO is committed to and engaged with the city surrounding it, allowing students unique hands-on opportunities, internships, service learning, applied research, and other collaborative activities that enhance time in the classroom.
This is the “O” we want you to know – forward thinking, student centered, and devoted to the city we call home. #KnowTheO
- Academic Excellence & Priorities
- Connecting Campus & Community
- Cutting Edge Facilities
- Diversity of Learners
- Division I Athletics
- Emerging Research
- Extraordinary Community Support
- Military & Veteran Students
- Most Competitive Tuition Rates in the Region
- National Leader in Community Service & Engagement
- Nebraska's Metropolitan University
- Omaha & UNO: Partners for More Than a Century
- Our World-Class Faculty
- Place Matters
- Points of Access
- Powerful Network of Alumni
- Student Body Growth & Retention
- Student Support Services
- UNO Student Profile
UNO’s six colleges are dedicated to providing rigorous undergraduate and graduate academic programs taught by faculty who are national and international experts in their fields. All of UNO’s colleges offer unique opportunities in research and hands-on experiences that are critical to gaining an edge in a competitive global marketplace.
- Arts & Sciences
- Business Administration
- Communication, Fine Arts & Media
- Information Science & Technology
- Public Affairs & Community Service
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Early Childhood/Child Welfare
- Global Engagement
The Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center (Weitz CEC), the first facility of its kind in the United States, opened in April 2014 to partner UNO resources with community needs. The Weitz CEC is a unique space that serves to strengthen UNO’s existing outreach efforts and foster future opportunities for partnerships between UNO students, faculty, staff, and nonprofit or governmental organizations.
For more than 100 years, UNO has been dedicated to engagement and education within the Omaha metropolitan community. The Weitz CEC adds a new venue from which our metropolitan university tradition can continue.
Areas of focus:
- Signature Outreach Programs
- University & Community Partners
- Scholarship of Engagement
- Community & Campus Related Events
For teaching, learning, engagement, living, and athletics.
- Baxter Arena
- Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center
- Biomechanics Research Building
- Mammel Hall
- Elkhorn River Research Station
- KANKEO-UNO Library
- Barn at Glacier Creek
- College of Public Affairs and Community Service
- Criss Library
- Health, Physical Education and Recreation (HPER)
- Kayser Hall
- Milo Bail Student Center
- Peter Kiewit Institute (IS & T)
- Roskens Hall (Education)
- Welcome Center
- Maverick Village
- University Village
- Scott Court
- Scott Hall
- Scott Village
UNO is proud to have the most diverse collegiate student body in the region.
Over half of all minority students in the University of Nebraska system attend UNO. That is our role in our city, state, and region: to serve as a point of access for excellence in higher education.
All learners who have done the hard work of preparation are welcome, no matter age, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status or country of origin.
UNO’s student-athletes are successfully competing at the highest level in collegiate sports in Division I athletics, holding membership in two athletic conferences: the National Collegiate Hockey Conference and the Summit League.
The profile of UNO Athletics is on the rise:
The 7,500-seat Baxter Arena opened on campus in October 2015. This arena houses men’s hockey, men’s and women’s basketball, and volleyball, in addition to numerous community events.
UNO’s soccer pitch (field added in 2014) received the prestigious FIFA recommended 2-Star certification, the highest synthetic turf rating from FIFA making it the highest rated collegiate pitch in the country.
UNO conducts globally relevant research that reflects the metropolitan mission of the university.
Carnegie Doctoral Research University
The Carnegie Foundation has classified UNO as a Doctoral Research University for our specialized doctoral programs and comprehensive range of master’s degrees and certificates.
Center for Research in Human Movement Variability
In Fall 2014, UNO was designated as home for the first Center for Research in Human Movement Variability thanks to a $10.1 million research grant from the National Institutes of Health. This is the largest research grant in UNO history.
UNO receives millions of research dollars from national funding agencies including the U.S. Department of Defense, National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, and NASA.
Office of Research and Creative Activity
The Office of Research and Creative Activity (ORCA) is dedicated to supporting faculty and student scholarly activity.
The community’s support of UNO is simply incredible and helps create greater opportunities for UNO students. Through the Campaign for Nebraska, donors contributed unprecedented support providing unlimited possibilities for UNO, now and well into the future.
The Campaign for Nebraska began in 2005 and concluded December 31, 2014.
Through the campaign:
- $238.8 million was raised for UNO*
- 12,109 donors made gifts to benefit UNO
- 659 funds were established to support UNO students, faculty, programs, and facilities growth
UNO is dedicated to serving those who served our country. We work to support UNO’s military community and their families by providing active duty and veteran students with resources and services developed to help them succeed—whether it’s on campus, online, or overseas.
UNO has a long tradition of focusing on military-affiliated students from having one of the oldest Air Force Reserve Officer Trainings Corps detachments in the country to our involvement in the Bootstrapper program in the 1950s.
Today, we are continuing to build partnerships with local employers to make sure we can help find jobs for our veterans when they graduate.
Office of Military & Veteran Services
- Process all veterans’ benefits
- Offer advice regarding veterans’ benefits
- Tuition assistance for active duty and Guard/Reserve students
- Faculty advisors to the Veteran Student Organization
- Ensure a smooth administration of benefits and education
Rankings and Recognitions
- #1 Four-year institution for military friendliness (Military Times, 2015-2016)
- #1 Four-year public institution for military friendliness (Military Times, 2014-2015)
- #1 UNO College of Business Administration: Best business school in the country for veterans (Military Times, 2014-2015 and 2015-2016)
- Listed on the "Military Friendly Schools" list in 2014 and 2015, which highlights the top 20% of schools nationwide that deliver what they consider to be the best experience for military students
UNO has the lowest tuition and fees of 10 Eastern Nebraska four-year institutions.
- The Metropolitan Advantage Program (MAP) provides tuition and fee pricing for residents of 11 Western Iowa counties that are lower than or competitive with four-year institutions in Iowa.
- The Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP) provides reduced out-of-state tuition for residents and students of Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin.
- Approximately 60% of recent alumni surveyed reported graduating with $5,000 or less in debt.
In 2014, UNO received the national Economic Opportunity award from the President’s Higher Education Honor Roll.
More than 800 colleges and universities applied, and it is the highest honor a university or college can receive by the U.S. government for its commitment to volunteering, service learning, and civic engagement. On top of this award, every year since 2005, UNO has been named to the President’s Higher Education Honor Roll.
UNO has achieved the prestigious elective classification for “Community Engagement” by the Carnegie Foundation for excellence in collaboration with the Omaha metro area for the second time. This classification places UNO among the top universities in the nation for service learning, community service, and civic engagement initiatives.
A "Metropolitan University," defined in its simplest terms, is an institution that accepts all of higher education’s traditional values in teaching, research, and service, but takes upon itself the additional responsibility of providing engaged leadership within the metropolitan region by using its human and financial resources as partners to improve the region’s quality of life.
UNO is located in the heart of Omaha, Nebraska, its roads winding through city parks and thriving neighborhoods, creating an extraordinary connection that few universities have achieved.
The city itself has truly become a part of the UNO campus. With a population of more than 1.2 million people within a 50-mile radius, UNO both offers and receives unlimited opportunities for collaboration.
The shared goal of Omaha and UNO has always been to empower students and residents, while enriching the global community. Our dynamic and rewarding partnership will no doubt flourish and grow for another 100 years.
UNO students learn from distinguished faculty drawn from the world’s leading universities.
Faculty are fully invested in students and their success, providing a personalized higher education experience.
- 17:1 undergraduate student-to-faculty ratio
- 13:1 graduate student-to-faculty ratio
Omaha is more than simply our location; the city truly functions as part of the UNO campus. UNO and Omaha enjoy a dynamic, fruitful, long-term partnership with a shared goal: changing the lives of students and residents while enriching the global community.
- #1 The Top 10 Best American Cities to Work in Tech (SmartAsset, September 2015)
- #2 Best Cities to Find a Job in 2015 (Fortune, June 2015)
- #2 The 15 Best U.S. Cities for Millennial College Students (OnlineColleges, March 2015)
- #7 Best Cities to Get a Job in 2015 (ZipRecruiter/msn.com, January 2015)
- #10 Best Cities for Young Entrepreneurs (NerdWallet.com, November 2014)
- #20 2015's Best Cities to Start a Career (WalletHub, May 2015)
- Top 5 Best Big Cities: Best in the Midwest (Time.com/money, August 2015)
- #1 Most Recession Proof City (Brookings Institute)
Internships, Practica & Career Opportunities
- Omaha offers many career opportunities in a variety of fields including:
- Small Business
Fortune 500 Companies Headquartered in Omaha
- Berkshire Hathaway
- Mutual of Omaha
- Union Pacific
Culture, Entertainment & Signature Events
- NCAA Men's College World Series
- NCAA Men's Basketball March Madness Tournament (2015)
- U.S. Olympic Swim Trials (returning in 2015)
- U.S. Senior Golf Open (2013)
- U.S. Figure Skating Championships (2013)
- Big Omaha
- Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting
- River City Rodeo & Stock Show
- Maha Music Festival
- National Movie Premieres
- Concerts, Plays, & Museums
- Restaurants & Shopping
UNO has tailored classes to be accessible in a variety of ways. Our goal is to offer excellence through flexibility to meet the various needs of students.
UNO has grown to include three campuses in the heart of Omaha. Students find a comprehensive array of programs and classes offered in the traditional weekday time frame, as well as in the evenings and on weekends.
Key partnerships and agreements have been established between UNO and regional community colleges, so students can work towards their bachelor’s degree without starting over.
UNO offers hybrids of on campus and online classes for students who are unable to come to campus to complete their entire class schedule. For those who seek a degree through distance education, UNO offers nationally recognized bachelor’s and master’s degrees in a wide variety of fields.
Adult Degree Completion
Adult learners wanting to advance their careers by completing a bachelor’s or master’s program can earn their degree or professional certification on campus and online.
The UNO Alumni Association is dedicated to serving UNO and its alumni, and celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2013.
Every UNO student automatically becomes a member of the UNO Alumni Association upon graduating from the university. Alumni can take part in the award-winning Young Alumni Academy to stay connected to UNO soon after graduating.
The worldwide UNO Alumni network includes more than 116,000 graduates, including a former U.S. Secretary of Defense, American Ambassadors, CEOs of major companies, teachers, police officers, social workers, soldiers, accountants, artists, scientists, engineers, and thousands of others striving to make our world a better place.
The network of UNO alumni is world-wide.
Once a Maverick, always a Maverick.
Largest incoming class in UNO history:
- 2% increased enrollment of entire student body
- 8.6% increased enrollment of first year students
- 8.2% increased enrollment of transfer students
- 10.1% increased enrollment of new graduate students
UNO has specifically designed programs and services to support students academically, socially, and physically to enhance time in and out of the classroom.
- Academic and Career Development Center
- Campus Recreation
- Campus Testing Services
- Civic and Social Responsibility
- Counseling Services
- Criss Library
- Disability Services
- Gender and Sexuality Resource Center
- Health Services
- Honors Program
- Learning Communities
- Math-Science Learning Center
- Military and Veteran Services
- Multicultural Affairs
- Speech Center
- Student Activities
- Wellness Center
- Writing Center
Where does momentum begin? For us, it was the determination to tell our story—and once we started telling our story, people started to see the successes UNO students have achieved.
And that success is inspiring. It inspires our faculty to find new and creative ways to teach our students. It allows our students to remain independent thinkers who will find unlimited opportunities before them.
The Maverick Monument, (shown at right) was a gift from the Alumni Association on the occasion of their 100th anniversary, and stands in front of the Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Building. This eight-foot high bronze bull statue doesn’t just represent the university’s mascot—it symbolizes the determination, pride, and success of our students, graduates, and the community.
15,526 Mavericks comprise the entire UNO student body, including:
- 12,488 undergraduate students
- 3,038 graduate students
- 6,124 first-generation students
- 1,479 military and veteran students
- 2,061international students
- 7,537 enrolled in at least one online course