Housing and Residence Life Gender-Inclusive Housing Policy
The University of Nebraska at Omaha is committed to maintaining an environment for all students, faculty, staff, and visitors, that is fair and responsible – an environment which is based on one’s ability and performance. The University of Nebraska at Omaha declares and affirms a policy of equal education and employment opportunities, and non-discrimination in providing services to the public. Therefore, the University of Nebraska at Omaha shall not discriminate against anyone based upon age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin, gender identity, sex, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, familial status, marital status, religion or political affiliation. The University of Nebraska at Omaha prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. This policy is applicable to all University administered programs including educational programs, financial aid, admission policies and employment policies. The University of Nebraska at Omaha's non-discrimination statement found here.
Any student who is lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, asexual, not straight, gender nonconforming, (LGBTQIA+) and/or ally is eligible to live in University housing including in an apartment designated as Gender-Inclusive Housing. Housing and Residence Life will identify a limited number of apartment style units to be available exclusively for Gender-Inclusive Housing. These units will be held until July 1 of each summer for the upcoming fall term. Students assigned to a unit may be of varying class years and may be a combination of new and returning students. Aside from the assignment policy, all other University policies will apply. Students residing in Gender-Inclusive Housing have the ability, as do all students, to discuss and disclose their sexual orientation and gender identity and expression openly and decide when, with whom, and how much of their private information to share with others.
- The student interested in Gender-Inclusive Housing will provide basic information (phone, email, name, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Director of Housing and Residence Life will contact the student to discuss individual needs and preferences.
- A village and room assignment will be made and communicated to the student, as well as any roommate contact information.
- The Director of Housing and Residence Life will advise housing staff members of the assignment.
- All members of Gender-Inclusive Housing will be required to attend a Safe Space Training. Any questions regarding this policy should be directed to email@example.com.
Gender–Inclusive Housing apartment assignments include:
- Four private bedrooms
- Shared kitchen and living area between four students
- Two full bathrooms shared between two students