Request of University Program and Facilities (UPF) Fund B Fees
- Effective: 09-11-2017
- Last Revised: 09-11-2017
- Responsible University Administrator: Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
- Responsible University Office: Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
- Policy Contact: Kathy Krause, Academic & Student Affairs • email@example.com
Print or view PDF
This policy impacts all administrative units responsible as fund owners of student fee accounts supported by Fund B, the Vice Chancellor and Business Manager responsible for guiding the annual process, and the Student President/Regent.
Fund B monies may be allocated for support of:
(i) university contracts requiring payment in whole or in part from dedicated student fees,
(ii) student unions and centers,
(iii) intercollegiate athletic programs,
(iv) student health services,
(v) student recreational programs,
(vi) international student services,
(vii) student transit services, and
(viii) facilities related to any of the foregoing.
Fund B monies shall not be allocated for the benefit of an individual student (including athletic scholarships); for support of the university's physical plant, except for facilities used primarily for those student services or activities permitted above or facilities subject to bonded indebtedness requiring dedicated student fees; or for support of any academic program, or any function or facility directly related to an academic program. In the event a facility is used in part for those student services or activities permitted above, and in part for other purposes (such as academic programs, or faculty, staff, or community services and activities), Fund B monies may be used to support the facility only up to the proportion that the permitted student services or activities in the facility bear to the total use of the facility. (RP-5.9.1(6))
Reason for Policy
This policy exists to demonstrate compliance at the campus level with Board of Regents Policy 5.9.1.
- In the first month of the fall semester each year, the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management and/or the Business Manager of the Office of Academic and Student Affairs (OASA) meets with representatives of each of the campus units receiving fee revenues from Fund B to discuss the general budget climate. Based on these discussions, each unit prepares a funding request for the upcoming academic year. Each unit is responsible for determining and advancing its funding priorities.
- In late December/early January, each area discusses their funding request and rationale with other units receiving Fund B revenues, the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, the OASA Business Manager, and Student President/Regent. Deadlines may vary based on changing Board of Regents timelines.
- The Vice Chancellor and Student President/Regent discuss the overall Fund B increase being proposed and meet with the Student Government Executive Committee to discuss and gather additional input. Fund B increases do not require formal approval from UNO-SG.
- A detailed Fund B increase document is prepared and advanced to the Chancellor’s Cabinet for final campus approval.
- If approved by the Chancellor’s Cabinet, the Fund B increase proposal is advanced to the President for recommendation on or before March 1.
- If recommended by the President, the Fund B increase proposal is submitted to the Board of Regents in a meeting agenda for final approval.
- After the Board of Regents has taken action on the proposal, the Vice Chancellor or Business Manager will notify each affected unit of the approval or denial of their request.
Fund B: this portion of the UPF Fees designated to pay debt services, staff salaries, maintenance of facilities and related expenses, and those additional items designated by the Chancellor will be budgeted separately with emphasis upon continuing support. (RP-5.9.1(1)).