Asset-based Community Engagement
The Service Learning Academy (SLA) applies an asset-based lens to service learning and community engagement work.
This means that faculty, students, and community partners collaborating with the SLA are encouraged to consider the following: ¹
- Value the assets and strengths in the community
- Actively engage everyone in the learning
- Cultivate cultural effectiveness to encourage positive interactions with diverse communities
- Work cooperatively
- Build reciprocal relationships
- Listen and learn from each other, and
- Embrace all participants as capable of making valuable contributions
The below video explores what it means to have a service learning mindset by defining cultural humility and asset-based community engagement.