Faculty: Leading a Study Abroad Program
Leading a Study Abroad Program
Leading a study abroad program is one of the best ways to add interest to your curriculum, provide your students with the opportunity to interact with subject matter on a deeper level, and increase your professional global engagement. Education Abroad is here to help you conceptualize, plan, and execute your program.
Program development and support
Creating a study abroad programs requires careful planning. If you are interested in leading an international education experience, you should submit a proposal to Education Abroad at least 12-18 months in advance of your desired program date. This allows for sufficient time to finalize all aspects of the programs and ensure its success.
Faculty leaders will have to take on certain responsibilities in addition to teaching and curriculum development. These responsibilities include:
- Coordinating plans with overseas institutions and other UNO departments
- Securing local travel arrangements
- Recruiting student participants for the program
- Coordinating with the Education Abroad Office for a specialized pre-departure orientation focusing on health and safety
- Managing allocated funds for the program
- Serving as an on-site language resource for students where appropriate
- Supervising students during the program
Education Abroad has several resources that can aid the planning process and help launch new programs. We are also able to assist with travel logistics and marketing strategies.
Faculty-led programs are an invaluable opportunity for UNO students. If you are at all interested in coordinating a program, please contact Education Abroad to discuss the possibilities.