Summer Financial Assistance Eligibility Criteria
- Must have completed a 2020-2021 FAFSA (for Federal aid consideration).
- Must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program.
- Must be enrolled for the current summer term.
Complete the Summer Aid Request in MavLINK after registering for Summer courses. This application allows our office to determine your Summer financial aid eligibility.
- The enrollment you indicate on your Summer Aid Request must match your actual enrollment in order for us to process your aid request.
- You will be notified via email when your Summer financial aid award is viewable in MavLINK.
- Students and parents should consider all of their costs to determine how much funding will be needed for Summer attendance. Our office will build a cost of attendance for your Summer enrollment after we have reviewed your Summer Aid Request.
- If you are a new transfer student to UNO, your summer financial aid eligibility may be limited based on aid received at the prior institution(s) attended.
Summer aid notices will be emailed to current students as a reminder to complete the Summer Aid request in early March. Summer awards are normally generated in early April.Please allow up to two (2) weeks after you have submitted your Summer Aid Request for us to determine your summer aid eligibility.
Minimum Enrollment RequirementIn order to be considered for Federal loan and institutional grant fund eligibility you must be enrolled in at least a half-time enrollment level. Enrollment statuses are listed below:
|Undergraduate Student||Graduate Student|
|Full-Time||12 + credit hours||9 + credit hours|
|Three-Quarter Time||9 – 11 credit hours||6 – 8 credit hours|
|Half-Time||6 – 8 credit hours
||4 – 5 credit hours|
|Less Than Half Time||Less Than 6 credit hours||Less Than 4 credit hours
Disbursement InformationYour funding will be released (disbursed) towards your student account after the census date (the last day to drop a class via MavLINK to receive a full refund) of the session in which you reach a half-time enrollment level. You will be able to view summer disbursement dates on the summer aid request.
- Summer funding is limited to your remaining eligibility for the academic year. Students who do not have remaining eligibility will be notified by email.
If a student changes enrollment after financial aid has been awarded, summer financial aid may need to be reduced.
Sources of Summer Financial AidThe types of aid you will be considered for are dependent upon your degree seeking status, enrollment, and program eligibility.
|Type of Aid||Additional Information|
|Federal Pell Grant||
Students who are eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant according to the expected family contribution (EFC) calculated on the 2020-2021 FAFSA may be eligible to receive Federal Pell Grant funds during the Summer 2021 term. The amount awarded will be prorated based on enrollment, not to exceed 50% of the maximum amount listed on your Student Aid Report (SAR).
Students who have attended full-time during Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 must be enrolled at least half-time for Summer 2021 to be considered for Federal Pell Grant funds. The amount awarded will count towards the student's Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used (maximum lifetime limit).
|Institutional Grants (if available)||
Institutional grants may be available for undergraduate students enrolled at least half-time. If you are eligible, you will be packaged institutional grants when your Summer Aid Request is being reviewed.
|Federal Work-Study (FWS)||
Minimum enrollment to be considered for FWS is one credit hour and is dependent upon demonstrated financial aid need.
|Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans||
Eligibility is subject to annual and aggregate (lifetime maximum) borrowing limits.
For Federal Direct Subsidized Loans, eligibility is dependent upon demonstrated financial aid need and grade level.
|Undergraduate Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans||
Available to parents of dependent undergraduate students.
|Graduate Federal Direct PLUS Loans||
Available to students enrolled in a graduate degree-seeking program.
|Alternative (Private) Student Loans||
Non-federal loans made by a lender such a bank, credit union, state agency, or school.
Typically requires credit check and may require co-signer. Eligibility is dependent upon credit check results and lender underwriting criteria.
May be an option to consider if your summer aid options are limited or you are ineligible to receive Federal financial aid for summer.