Outreach Inside the MOVCENTR
Outreach Inside the MOVCENTR
High School girls learn how to simulate surgery with hands on experience during the Perry Initiative.
We offer tours of the research labs in the Biomechanics Research Building. These tours can be tailored to the needs of the group. Examples of tours given include potential Biomechanics students, Elementary, Middle, and High School student groups, businesses, potential collaborators, or anyone interested in learning more about Biomechanics research!
Please fill out the Tour Request Form if you are interested in a tour.
National Biomechanics Day
National Biomechanics Day was founded in 2016 and is a world-wide celebration of Biomechanics, focusing on informing students from the community about the field of Biomechanics.
Each year we host student groups from the Greater Omaha area. Interested student groups can contact Dr. Amelia Lanier.
Participants will learn how to use nonlinear methods to analyze real biological data by first learning about the underlying mathematics of each nonlinear method in a simple and friendly fashion. Instructors will use class discussions and hands-on practice to facilitate understanding of the material covered in the lectures.
Previous Outreach Events
- National Biomechanics Day. We are proud to embark in the fourth annual National Biomechanics Day. Students interact, learn, and get hands on experience learning about how biomechanics integrates our every day lives.
- The Perry Initiative. "The Perry Outreach Program is The Perry Initiative’s trademark event, designed to introduce high school girls to real tools and surgical procedures they will encounter in orthopaedic surgery and engineering jobs."
- Fourth Annual Conference in Human Movement Variability. The conference brings together researchers from across the globe to share their research in movement variability, and exchange ideas while exploring potential collaborations.
- Home Instead's ‘Caregiver Appreciation Open House’
- ‘Lights on Afterschool’
- The Omaha Baby Fair
- Autism Night at the Children’s Museum
- A fundraiser for Autism Action Partnership, “A vintage affaire VII wines of the world”
- Autism Society Puzzle Walk, featuring a sensory room for the children and their families
- Nebraska ASD Network State Conference for educators and families
- Children’s RESPITE Care Center, to educate and provide evaluation services for families that have children with autism
- Columbus Lost Creek Elementary School to assess their Special Education Program for children with autism
- Daughters of Penelope
- Little Priest Tribal College Field Trip
- Each year members from the MOVCENTR take part in the growing National Biomechanics Day. Over 300 American Society of Biomechanics laboratories across the globe bring awareness and education to communities about the importance of Biomechanics. "National Biomechanics Day is a world-wide celebration of Biomechanics in its many forms for high school students and teachers."