- Effective: 08-01-2006
- Last Revised: 08-22-2016
- Responsible University Administrator: Sr. Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs
- Responsible University Office: Information Technology Services/University Communications
- Policy Contact: University Communications • email@example.com
Print or view PDF
This policy applies to all individuals with a University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) email address or other official messaging tools, to send electronic messages to announce, promote and advertise should adhere to this policy.
UNO email may not be used to send or transmit unsolicited electronic messages to other University of Nebraska addresses where the primary purpose of which includes but is not limited to informing, announcing, advertising, or promoting an event, product, program, service, group/division/unit/college, or person.
Acceptable email messages include:
- Messages within a division, college, department or academic course
- Announcements about a UNO service to individuals identified as using that service (Note: potential use does not qualify as using the service)
- Messages to opt-in mailing lists, if the topic matches the intended purpose of the list
- Sanctioned University of Nebraska enrollment or employment notifications
- UNO Maverick newsletters to faculty, staff, and students sent by University Communications
- Messages submitted to University Communications that receive approval from the UNO office of the Chancellor or from the NU President's office
The use of university information systems, including email, is subject to the NU Executive Memorandum 16.
Reason for Policy
This policy is to protect UNO and its faculty, staff and students from violating anti-spam email and messaging laws and align the campus with best practices in email promotion and marketing. This policy also works to remove unsolicited emails sent internally and through the Nebraska system of campuses and externally to the UNO community.
Violations may result in loss of email access. Reporting violations and or governance should be directed to the Digital Communications Executive Committee via the Digital Communications Team.