Student Support Services
TRIO Project Achieve is a federally-funded Student Support Services (SSS) program at the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO). TRIO programs were the first national college access and retention programs to address serious social, economic, and cultural barriers to education in the United States.
TRIO Project Achieve provides support to UNO undergraduate students who qualify as first-generation students, limited-income students, or students with disabilities.
TRIO Project Achieve provides the following services:
Please note: the Counselor, English Specialist, and Advisor are unavailable throughout June and July.
The TRIO Project Achieve staff helps students with:
- Assisting in course selection
- Reviewing course registration information
- Assessing academic habits, experience, strengths, and potential needs
- Improving study skills and time management techniques
- Developing academic plans necessary for retention and graduation
- Identifying career interests and goals
- Discussing graduate and professional education possibilities
- Making long-range educational plans
- Accessing academic major and minor information
- Enlisting university and community resources to enhance matriculation at UNO
TRIO Project Achieve places emphasis on one-to-one, and small group tutoring. Appointments are scheduled regularly.
- Tutorial sessions are scheduled at the convenience of the student and tutor
- Typical arrangements consist of one or more one-hour sessions per week
- Tutorial sessions are a supplement to the regular classes and help improve students' grades
Our staff can provide assistance with:
- Study Skills
- Other subjects
If the TRIO Project Achieve staff is unable to help, the staff will seek the assistance of an outside tutor. Please note that during the months of June and July, the Counselor, English Specialist, and Advisor are unavailable.
TRIO Project Achieve provides a variety of workshops. The workshops are based on students' input, interests, and needs. Examples include:
- Interviewing Skills
- Identity Theft
- Newcomers Gathering
- Money, Credit and You
- Financial Aid
- Financial Literacy
TRIO Project Achieve reviews each student's file to determine if the student has received the maximum amount of financial aid for which he or she may qualify. In addition, the staff can provide assistance in:
- Completing financial aid applications and forms
- Connecting students with resources for locating public and private scholarships
The TRIO Project Achieve Counselor can assist with:
- Personal issues
- Career advising
- Academic advising
Please note that the counselor is unavailable in June and July.
Community engagement is integral to UNO as an institution. TRIO Project Achieve encourages its students to participate in service opportunities and has received an Award for Volunteering Most Years of Service. Community service opportunities include:
- Participating in UNO's 3 Days of Service in the fall
- Participating in UNO's 7 Days of Service in the spring
- Habitat for Humanity in collaboration with UNO's Habitat for Humanity Student Chapter, which is led by Project Achieve students
- Benson Plant Rescue and the Community Produce Rescue, a long-time service partner of Project Achieve
Students meet regularly with TRIO Project Achieve advisors for assistance with the transition from high school or community college to UNO.
Approximately 1/3 of the TRIO Project Achieve students are incoming freshmen with no college experience. Most of the TRIO Project Achieve students transfer to UNO from a different TRIO/SSS program at their high school, community college, or other four-year institution.
During the transition advising sessions, the TRIO Project Achieve staff pays special attention to factors and services that help students become successful at UNO.
TRIO Project Achieve also provides opportunities for the transitioning students to engage with other UNO students through:
- Community service projects
- Mentoring programs
- Exposure to cultural events and academic programs