EPPE (English Placement and Proficiency Exam)
The English Placement and Proficiency Exam (EPPE), a 90 minute timed essay, is required for undergraduate students (first-time freshmen and transfer students) and international students, including some applying for graduate programs. You may take the EPPE twice in a calendar year. For permission to take the EPPE a second time in a calendar year, please send an email to Dustin Pendley at email@example.com.
You may be exempt from taking the EPPE. If you meet the following criteria, check with a UNO academic advisor.
- Students who took an approved Advanced Placement (AP) English course and a corresponding AP test in high school and present an English AP score of 3 or higher
- Students with composition credit deemed equivalent to UNO’s ENGL-1150 and/or ENGL-1160
If you are an international student and need to take the English Placement and Proficiency Exam, review the process for International Students.
Students who have disabilities or needs that require accommodations need to contact Accessibility Services at 402.554.2872 to establish a plan. After your plan is established, email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about testing accommodations.
Registering for the EPPE
If you are a first-time freshman or transfer student, you can take the exam online.
- First, you need to register via MavLINK (the University Student Information System.)
- After you register, you will receive a confirmation email that you are registered.
- When your login credentials (UNO NetID) are created and your information is added to our exam system, you will receive an email with instructions for taking the EPPE. Click Here for help setting up your login credentials.
Taking the EPPE (Click Here to Print Instructions)
- You need to know your UNO NetID credentials (Username and Password). This is not the 8 digit number but is created using parts of your first and last name.
- Download a browser titled Respondus Lock Down Browser from this web page.
- Windows (no specific browser needs to be installed) / Macintosh requires Safari (Versions 4 to 7)
- For more information: Respondus Lock Down Browser and Monitor Student Guide. This exam does not use the Respondus Monitor (web cam).
- Open the Respondus Lockdown Browser icon on your desktop. Click on the red bar located in the UNO Login box then select the UNO icon. The UNO Blackboard login screen appears.
- Log on with your login credentials (UNO NetID) and password.
- The My Home Page appears.
- Select the 2016 or 2017 English Placement Exam (the year in which you resgister), which appears in the My Organizations Plus module.
- Once you enter the exam area, be sure to read the EPPE Instructions located on the How to Take the EPPE page.
- When you are ready to take the EPPE, click Take the Exam in the left navigation panel.
- Then, click the exam link in the middle of the page titled English Placement Exam.
- Click Begin to start the test or click Cancel to go back.
- Follow the instructions and be sure to answer all of the provided questions.
- Log off Blackboard (close browser).
You will have 90 minutes to complete this exam. Please use all of your time to craft a strong essay. Be sure to closely read your essay prompt so that you can accurately answer your selected question. Construct a thesis driven well-reasoned argument with ample support. Explore your ideas with depth and honesty. Craft sentences that are varied and well-constructed. Summarize the original author accurately and effectively integrate the author’s points into your essay. Don’t forget to proofread your essay before submitting it.
Answer all questions. Click Save All Answers to save your answers and continue taking the test. When you are finished with the test, click Save and Submit. Once you click Save and Submit, you can no longer access the test to make changes.
- Within the text editor, you can click (double arrows up icon) to show more or fewer text editing options.
- To expand the text box you are typing in to full screen mode, click (full screen icon). In full screen mode, the test timer disappears. Click the icon again to return to regular screen mode.
Timed Test: This test has a time limit of 1 hour and 30 minutes. This test will automatically save and submit when the time expires. Warnings appear when half the time, 5 minutes, 1 minute, and 30 seconds remain.
Multiple Attempts: Not allowed. This test can only be taken once. You will need to contact Dustin Pendley at email@example.com for a second attempt with in a calendar year. You will also have to re-register through MavLINK.
Force Completion: This test can be saved and resumed at any point until the time has expired. The timer will continue to run if you leave the test.
Taking the EPPE on Campus
If you are unable to take the EPPE at home or do not wish to download the Respondus Lockdown Browser to your home computer, you may take the EPPE at these campus locations:
If you need help with your NetID, Blackboard, or installing the Respondus Lockdown Browser, contact Information Services Technical Support: phone 402-554-4357 or 1-866-866-2721, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by Eppley Administration Building, Room 104, Monday through Friday from 8 am – 5 pm.
Do you have questions about the exam? Contact Dustin Pendley at 402.554.3476 or email@example.com.
English placement results will be available approximately one week after testing and will be posted within Blackboard under "My Grades". Placement results will also be emailed to each student. The Privacy Act prohibits the releasing of test results by phone; please DO NOT phone for your results.
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.