EPPE (English Placement and Proficiency Exam)
The English Placement and Proficiency Exam (EPPE), a 90-minute timed essay, is required for undergraduate students (first-time students and transfer students) and international students, including some applying for graduate programs.
You may take the EPPE twice in a calendar year. A third attempt will not be graded!
You may be exempt from taking the EPPE. If you meet the following criteria, check with a UNO academic advisor.
- Students who took an approved Advanced Placement (AP) English course and a corresponding AP test in high school and present an English AP score of 3 or higher
- Students with composition credit deemed equivalent to UNO’s ENGL-1150 and/or ENGL-1160
If you are an international student and need to take the English Placement and Proficiency Exam, review the process for International Students.
Students who have disabilities or needs that require accommodations need to contact Accessibility Services at 402.554.2872 to establish a plan. After your plan is established, email email@example.com to inquire about testing accommodations.
Registering for the EPPE
If you are a first-time student or transfer student, you can take the exam online.
- First, you need to register via MavLINK (the University Student Information System).
- After you register, you will receive a confirmation email that you are registered.
- When your login credentials (UNO NetID) are created and your information is added to our exam system, you will receive an email with instructions for taking the EPPE. Get help setting up your login credentials.
Taking the EPPE (View Instructions)
- Your UNO NetID credentials (Username and Password) is required to take English Placement Exam. This is not the 8 digit number. UNO NetID uses parts of your first and last name.
- You must download and install a browser titled Respondus Lock Down Browser from this web page.
- For more information: Respondus Lock Down Browser and Monitor Student Guide. This exam does not use the Respondus Monitor (web cam).
- Open the Respondus Lockdown Browser icon
- Log on with your UNO NetID and password.
- On the Canvas Dashboard select the "Year" English Placement Exam course.
- You will need to start with the Read Me First section and complete these steps before entering the exam.
- Within the exam answer ALL of the questions.
- A 90 minute running timer will appear top right of screen.
- ONLY click Submit when you are finished. (Clicking Submit earlier will end your exam.)
- Log off Canvas by closing the Lockdown Browser.
You will have 90 minutes to complete this exam. Please use all of your time to craft a strong essay. Be sure to closely read your essay prompt so that you can accurately answer your selected question. Construct a thesis driven well-reasoned argument with ample support. Explore your ideas with depth and honesty. Craft sentences that are varied and well-constructed. Summarize the original author accurately and effectively integrate the author’s points into your essay. Don’t forget to proofread your essay before submitting it.
Answer all questions.
- Within the text editor, you can click (double arrows up icon) to show more or fewer text editing options.
- To expand the text box you are typing in to full screen mode, click (full screen icon). In full screen mode, the test timer disappears. Click the icon again to return to regular screen mode.
Timed Test: This test has a time limit of 1 hour and 30 minutes. This test will automatically save and submit when the time expires.
Multiple Attempts: This test can be taken twice in a calendar year. A third attempt will not be graded! You will have to re-register through MavLINK to take the exam a second time.
Force Completion: This test can be saved and resumed at any point until the time has expired. The timer will continue to run if you leave the test.
Taking the EPPE on Campus
If you are unable to take the EPPE at home or do not wish to download the Respondus Lockdown Browser to your home computer, you may take the EPPE at these campus locations:
If you need help with your NetID, Canvas, or installing the Respondus Lockdown Browser, contact Information Services Technical Support:
Location: 104 Eppley Administration Building, Monday through Friday from 8 A.M. – 5 P.M.
Your grades can be accessed multiple ways:
- Placement results will be emailed to you
- Enter via MavLINK
- Click on Academics
- Under Academics click on Register for Exams
- On the Test Registration Management page
- Under My Past Tests
- Click on Grades under Actions