Get a Head Start to Your Career
Students interested in the internship or organizations interested in offering internship opportunities through the Department of English, can contact the Interim Internship Director, Dr. Joan Latchaw.
Apply for an Internship through the Department of English
Please review the dates below for internship application deadlines, then download and complete the appropriate application. Please return your completed application to the Interim Internship Director, Dr. Joan Latchaw.
|Deadlines for Internship Applications|
|Past and Current Organizations Participating in English Internship Program|
|Domestic Violence Coordinating Council|
|Legal Aid of Nebraska|
|Lutheran Family Services|
|Omaha Children's Museum|
|University of Nebraska Press|
|Women's Centennial Project|
|Yates Community Center|
|Danish American Archive and Library|
|UNO Writing Center|
Why should you participate in the English Internship Program?
Besides getting a foot in the door with a potential employer and looking good on a résumé, internships have other advantages:
- The opportunity to "test drive" a career (Would I be happier in marketing or advertising? Am I more comfortable working with patients or in a lab?)
- Chances to network
- Establishing relationships with mentors
- Possible college credit or certification
- An introduction to the field's culture and etiquette (Are clients addressed by their first name? Are jeans appropriate for Casual Friday?)
- Accumulating new skills
- Gaining a "real world" perspective on an occupation (How much overtime do employees really work? How much time is spent behind a desk versus in the field?)