Learn about the history of Arts and Sciences Hall in a new exhibit from Archives & Special Collections’ University Archives. Photographs, documents, and memorabilia trace the construction and opening of the first building on the Dodge Street campus in the display UNO Arts & Sciences Hall 80th Anniversary, 1938-2018.
This fall marks the 80th anniversary of the opening of the UNO Arts & Sciences Hall, the first building on the Dodge Street campus. Construction of the Arts & Sciences Hall began in early January of 1937 and was largely completed by Mid-March of 1938. Funding for the one million dollar project included a $414,000 grant from the Public Works Administration. Contractors for the project included, John Latenser & Sons, architect; Peter Kiewit Sons, grading, and A. Borchman Sons general construction. The fully air-conditioned American-Georgian style structure, then called the Administration Building, was designed to accommodate 1,000 students and included a 350 seat lecture hall, fifty classrooms, a multipurpose auditorium, and a 40,000 book library. The Arts & Sciences Hall officially opened in September of 1938 to wide acclaim and a 40% increase in enrollment.
The exhibit was curated by University Archivist Les Valentine with assistance from Archives & Special Collections Associate Angela Kroeger.
For more information about including events and announcements in the Criss Library News Center, email us at email@example.com.
Unless otherwise clearly stated, any views or opinions expressed as part of events, exhibitors, or presenters in the UNO Libraries (Dr. C.C. and Mabel L. Criss Library and the KANEKO-UNO Library) should not be viewed as endorsements by the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) and do not reflect the official position of UNO or the University of Nebraska system.