All University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) employees; all individuals on any UNO property.
UNO will not tolerate any type of workplace violence committed by or against employees.
Employees are prohibited from any conduct, including verbal or nonverbal conduct that is physically threatening or results in violent behavior.
The following list of behaviors, while not inclusive, provides examples of prohibited conduct:
- Causing physical injury to another person;
- Making threatening remarks;
- Aggressive or hostile behavior that creates a reasonable fear of injury to another person or subjects another individual to emotional distress;
- Intentionally damaging university property or property of another employee or student;
- Possession of firearms, weapons, fireworks, and other dangerous or hazardous devices or substances on university property without proper authorization;
- Conduct that intimidates, or coerces another employee, customer, student, vendor, or solicitors.
All threats of (or actual) violence, both direct and indirect, should be reported as soon as possible to the immediate supervisor and Public Safety. These actions include threats by employees, as well as threats by customers, students, vendors, solicitors, or other members of the public.
When reporting a threat of violence, the person providing the information should be as specific and detailed as possible (who, what, when, where, how?). Reports can be made anonymously and all reported incidents will be investigated. Reports or incidents will be handled appropriately and information will be disclosed to others only on a need-to-know basis.
Threats, threatening conduct, or any other acts of aggression or violence in the workplace will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
Reason for Policy
UNO is committed to preventing workplace violence and to maintaining a safe work environment for all employees. To ensure a safe workplace and to reduce the risk of violence, all employees should review and understand all provisions of this workplace violence policy.