By including environmental considerations in our procurement decisions, along with our traditional concerns with price, performance and availability, we will remain fiscally responsible while promoting products and services that have a reduced effect on human health and the environment.
UNO’s “Green Purchasing” strategy is to develop policies consistent with the following:
- Minimize the consumption of natural resources by reviewing current and proposed future usage and evaluating the pros and cons of alternatives.
- Seek alternatives to products and processes that are detrimental to the environment by using more “environmentally friendly” products and processes.
- Minimize waste, including any packaging, waste produced by the product (or service) in questions, and waste generated by the eventual disposal of the product.
- Maximize the reuse and recycling of materials.
- Stimulate demand for “environmentally friendly” products by letting manufacturers and suppliers know the environmental performance we are looking for in products.