Costs, Scholarships, Tuition and Fees
How to Apply
Intensive English Options
Housing, Campus, and Community
There are many reasons, but here are five of the most important.
1. High-quality academic programs
UNO offers more than 200 accredited academic programs. Many have earned recognition for excellence including UNO's award-winning aviation program and the athletic training program, one of the oldest in the U.S.
Several graduate programs are ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report:
- Information and Technology Management
- Public Finance and Budgeting
- Nonprofit Management
- City Management and Urban Policy
- Public Management Adminstration
- Master of Business Administration
For a full listing of all UNO's academic offerings, visit the Majors and Programs page.
2. Large, diverse international campus community
Last year, almost 2,000 international students attended UNO.
Regular international events - field trips, cultural fairs, games, picnics - help new students get to know each other and feel at home.
Learn about our housing options, campus, and community.
We are adaptive to the needs of all cultures and work our best to make sure all of our students are comfortable and happy.
4. Omaha is welcoming, fun, and affordable
Check out some of the recognition Omaha has earned in recent years:
- #1 Best City with the Biggest Bang for Your Buck (The Fiscal Times)
- #1 Most Recession Proof City (Brookings Institute)
- #2 America's 10 Best Cities for Professional Women (Motovo Blog)
- #2 Best City for Recent Grads (The Daily Beast)
- #2 The Nine Best Up-and-Coming Cities for Music (MTV Iggy)
- #3 Best City to Live, Work and Play (Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine)
- #4 Top 50 Military Friendly Cities, (G.I. Jobs)
- #5 Best City for Young Professionals (Forbes)
- #5 Top 10 Cities with Best Music Scenes Outside Nashville, NYC and LA (Livability)
- #7 Best Cities for Job Seekers (NerdWallet.com)
- #9 Top 10 Cities for College Graduates (MSN)
- #9 The 10 Best Cities for Young Entrepreneurs (NerdWallet.com)
- #13 Best 35 U.S. Cities for People 35 and Under (Vocativ.com)
- One of the 20 Awesome Cities You Need to Visit in Your 20s (Huffington Post)
- One of the 10 Best Cities for Millenials Right Now (The Atlantic Wire)
- One of the Six Cities Where Startups are Thriving (Money)
5. Commitment to international students and our global mission
UNO's International Admissions and Advising office is a one-stop shop for everything you need:
- Visa assistance
- Airport pickup
- Housing arrangements
- Advice on financial aid
UNO offers competitive tuition rates and Omaha's cost of living is among the lowest in the nation.
Scholarships and support are also available to students, with 39% of international students receiving financial assistance.
Use our checklist to apply for intensive English, undergraduate, and graduate programs at UNO.
Applicants for conditional admission should complete items for both intensive English and their undergraduate or graduate programs.
Intensive English Options
UNO's two different intensive language programs address the needs of all English-language learners:
ILUNO Intensive English
Intensive, experienced, and personalized. ILUNO is one of the oldest and largest intensive English programs in the central United States, having taught international students for 35 years.
- Students are in class 21 hours or more every week.
- Sessions last eight weeks and are scheduled six times throughout the year.
- Through a collaborative process with their instructors, new ILUNO students evaluate their English language ability and set academic goals.
- Students begin at one of six levels – beginning to advanced.
- The bridge program allows students to begin undergraduate work while taking intensive English classes.
- The Advantage Track allows many students to begin undergraduate work without taking the TOEFL.
IPD English for Professionals
International Professional Development delivers short-term, intensive training in English language and communications skills – all in a business context.
Since 1989, professionals from around the world have come to IPD to gain a competitive edge in an increasingly interconnected global marketplace.
- They attend seminars in business and intercultural communications.
- They improve their English ability and increase their knowledge of global business practices.
- They also develop their professional networks while becoming immersed in Omaha’s international business community.
Enjoy the convenience of on-campus living or live in a nearby neighborhood.
Study at the library, dine at the student center, and get a workout at the gym. Then walk to a movie or enjoy a night out on the town with friends. It's all within easy reach at UNO.
UNO depends on student employees to augment its employment ranks. Approximately 29% of on-campus employees are student workers and work-study student workers.
While finances are the primary reason for working, other reasons motivating students to work include: enjoyment, social interaction, career exploration, and time management.
Students seeking work experience on-campus during school can gain assistance through Student Employment Services.