Categories of Admission
Unconditional Admission status may be granted to students considered fully qualified to undertake a program toward a graduate certificate/degree for which they were admitted. A student must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Other qualifications might include, but are not limited to, academic foundation requirements, an interview, area of subject tests, advanced tests, a portfolio or performance, grade point average or letters of recommendation.
Provisional Admission status may be granted to students who have not met all of the conditions for unconditional admission but may still be admitted to the program. However, departments/schools and/or the Dean for Graduate Studies may impose certain requirements which must be fulfilled by the student in order to maintain this status.
- Provisional admission may be granted to an applicant who has less than a "B" (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) average in the undergraduate work in the proposed graduate major and minor (but in no case less than a 2.7 GPA). This admission may be granted for reasons of maturity, experience or other circumstances under which the student may be deemed capable of high quality graduate study.
- Provisional admission will not be removed until the student has earned at least the grade of "B" (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) in each course involved in the first 12 hours of graduate study.
- Provisional admission may occasionally be granted to an applicant who has graduated from an unaccredited institution. Unconditional status may be attained upon completion of 12 hours of graduate courses with a "B" (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) average, providing all other requirements are met.
- Provisional admission occasionally may be granted to seniors at this University needing not more than nine hours of undergraduate credit to complete their baccalaureate degree and wishing to register for graduate credit, subject to their receiving their baccalaureate degree within the twelve-month period immediately following such registration. They must, however, apply for admission to graduate studies and, if admitted, they should register as graduate students. Graduate course work taken prior to receipt of the baccalaureate degree may not always be accepted for transfer to other institutions as graduate work or for completion of degree requirements at UNO.
- Provisional admission may occasionally be granted to an applicant who has not submitted the required aptitude or advanced knowledge test score(s). The student must, however, submit the score prior to the second registration as a graduate student.
Provisional status will continue until provisions of admission are fulfilled or changed by the recommendation of the Graduate Program Committee and approved by the Dean for Graduate Studies.
Non-degree admission status
Verified Non-degree admission status
Non-degree admission status may be available for an individual with an undergraduate or graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution who is not seeking a graduate degree from UNO. Applicants applying for the verified non-degree admission status need only submit an application for admission, the required application fee and official degree transcripts.
Limited Express Non-degree admission status
Limited express non-degree admission status allows students to register for classes without waiting for Graduate Studies to receive official transcripts. Applicants applying for the limited express non-degree admission status need only submit an application for admission, and the required application fee. Applicants requesting a Limited Express Non-degree admission must be eligible for non-degree admission status and have earned a bachelors or higher degree with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale. An official transcript is required within one semester.
- Verified Non-degree admission status does allow intercampus registration. Students in this category are not eligible for financial aid. Advisors are not assigned to non-degree students.
Non-degree students are advised to consult with the appropriate department/school concerning class availability and prerequisites before attempting to register. Because of limited class size and resources, certain academic units may limit the enrollment of non-degree students. To determine whether a non-degree student is allowed to enroll in a graduate course, please check the course descriptions listed on the web.
Admission to a degree program or to unclassified admission from non-degree status is not guaranteed. Graduate-level hours taken as a non-degree graduate student prior to admission to a degree program may be included in the program of study at the discretion of the major department/school and the graduate dean. Students changing from non-degree status also may be required to take certain prerequisite courses by the major department/school and the Dean for Graduate Studies.
International students on F1 visas, except graduate visiting students, are not eligible to enroll under non-degree status.
Non-degree students must maintain the same academic standards as degree seeking students or unclassified students.
Students dismissed from a graduate program who then re-apply as non-degree students may only do so if they request and receive permission in accordance with departmental/school graduate program policy to enroll as a non-degree student.
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.