Memorial Benches and Trees
- Effective: 12-01-2012
- Last Revised: 01-19-2021
- Responsible University Administrator: Vice Chancellor, Business, Finance & Business Development
- Responsible University Office: Campus Facilities
- Policy Contact: Larry Morgan, Executive Director of Campus Facilities • email@example.com
Print or view PDF
This policy applies to memorial benches and memorial trees on University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) property.
The university welcomes requests for memorials to individuals or groups associated with the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO). Requests for memorial benches and/or memorial trees should be directed to the Executive Director of Campus Facilities. University of Nebraska Foundation personnel is available to visit with donors about opportunities through the Foundation to set up memorial scholarship funds, academic excellence funds, faculty support funds, or facility improvement projects.
Reason for Policy
To ensure consistency and responsiveness for memorials at the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO), this policy and the following procedures have been developed.
- Requests for memorial benches should be made to the Executive Director of Campus Facilities at 402.554-2500. Facilities Management and Planning (FMP) personnel will work in partnership with personnel from the University of Nebraska Foundation on the gift.
- Upon receiving a request to donate a bench, FMP personnel will work closely with the donor to identify a suitable location that is appropriate to the individual being honored and that conforms to the university landscape plan. The university will solely make the determination of whether an additional bench is needed on campus and will be under no obligation to install a memorial bench if no need exists.
- The university will determine all aspects of the physical bench (composition, size, style, etc.).
- Benches will be installed on an appropriate foundation per campus standards.
- Each bench may include one commemorative brass plaque. Plaques must meet specific guidelines in size, shape, and wording and must be approved by the university campus architect.
- The donation required for a memorial bench is $5,000, made payable to the University of Nebraska Foundation. The university will not begin any efforts on purchasing or installing a memorial bench until the entire gift is funded.
- The memorial benches are the exclusive property of the university. Benches will receive the same level of maintenance and care as other university assets and may be relocated at a future date due to changing campus needs. When the University determines that the bench is no longer of acceptable condition for continued use, the University is under no obligation to replace the bench or to move the plaque to another bench.
- The Executive Director of Campus Facilities manages requests for gifts of tree planting on campus in the memory of a member of the faculty, students, staff, or alumni.
- FMP personnel will help the donor select an appropriate species and an appropriate location.
- FMP personnel will coordinate the installation and maintenance with the grounds operation.
- Neither plaques nor commemorative markers are permitted. Plaques may only be installed as part of a memorial bench, which can be given in association with a tree. Donors are welcome to arrange a ceremony as a dedication.
- The tree becomes the property of the university and the campus staff cannot guarantee the perpetuation of the tree.
- The donation required for a memorial tree is $1,000, made payable to the University of Nebraska Foundation. The university will not begin any efforts on purchasing or installing a memorial tree until the entire gift is funded.
|Other Memorial Requests||University of Nebraska Foundation||nufoundation.org/contact|