Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance
Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance Conference and Workshop 2019
This two-day conference will feature a USSTRATCOM hosted Table Top Exercise focused on deterrence issues, along with panel presentations and workshops sessions at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. The conference will include coffee, lunch and an evening reception with keynote addresses from UNO and USSTRATCOM representatives. There is no fee to attend this conference.
The call for papers is now open.
We are soliciting paper proposals now through December 7, 2018. Please limit your proposal to 200 words and submit it below.
The theme for the event is “Collaborative Approaches to Deterrence.” Participants will examine the concepts of deterrence and assurance in a diverse, complex, and uncertain security environment through collaboration, alliances, and partnerships. Submitted panel papers should focus on the overall theme and address questions such as the following:
- How does the United States conduct deterrence and assurance from a ‘whole-of-government’ approach? What are the challenges and limitations, and how can we overcome them?
- How might allies and partners conduct deterrence and assurance operations? What are the challenges and limitations and how do we overcome obstacles?
- How does the political landscape (both domestic and international) impact deterrence strategy?
- Can we leverage leaders in multiple sectors (commercial, diplomatic, nonprofit, and local state government) to help achieve deterrence objectives? Do the commercial, nonprofit, or other sectors have any responsibilities for deterrence and assurance? Is the government responsible to deter attacks against these sectors?
- How effective have collaborative approaches to deterrence been in the cyber and space domains? What successes have we seen in addressing violent extremist organizations?
Information regarding registration will be provided at a later date.
|October 5, 2018||Call for paper abstracts|
|December 7, 2018||Paper abstracts due|
|January 18, 2019||Acceptance notifications and confirmation of panel members|
|February 22, 2019||Deadline for registration|
|February 22, 2019||Workshop papers submitted to panel chairs|
|March 7-8, 2019||Deterrence & Assurance Workshop and Conference|
7 March 2019: USSTRATCOM TTX will be hosted at Offutt Air Force Base.
7-8 March 2019: Reception, panel presentations and workshops will be hosted at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. Exact building and room locations will be posted in 2019.
The Residence Inn Omaha Aksarben Village has a block of rooms for conference attendees for $109 per night (3/6/19-3/8/2019). The University provides shuttle service from the hotel to the campus throughout the day.
Address: 1717 South 67th Street, Omaha, NE, 68106
If you are driving to campus to the Community Engagement Center, please consult our parking map.
Parking lot E is directly in front of the CEC. Please tell the gate attendant that you are attending the Deterrence and Assurance Conference and you will be allowed to park in the lot. There are a limited amount of parking spaces in this lot. If this parking lot is full please use Short-term parking options:
A variety of parking options are available for visitors throughout campus.
90-Minute Meters/Park Omaha App
- Lot A (North of Kayser Hall)
- Lot M (South of Criss Library)
- Online - Valid: Faculty/staff and student surface lots, West or Pacific St. Garage; Fee: $3
- Kiosk - Valid: West or Pacific St. Garage; Fee: $1/hr up to $4 daily
- Kiosk - East Garage Lot T ONLY - $5 daily during weeks 3-16 of Fall/Spring Semester
- Park Omaha App Vaild: West or Pacific St. Garage; Fees: $1/hour up to $4 daily
- After 12:30 P.M. East Garage Park Omaha App available on all levels.
- SUMMER ONLY - All garages available for kiosk or Park Omaha daily/hourly permits
Visitor Lots (Time Restricted)
Time-restricted, visitor-only lots are available at University Village and Scott Village Clubhouses and PKI (Lot 3). No permit is required.
View the Parking Map.
The goal for the Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance is to strengthen and regularize collaborative relationships and interactions between defense and academic institutions to stimulate new thinking and develop future generations of deterrence practitioners.
Efforts include creating venues for academic communication and collaboration in the form of a website, an annual workshop, speaking engagements, a deterrence focused journal, and current and future research.
Each year, USSTRATCOM hosts a Table Top Exercise for registered participants of the Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance on Offutt Airforce Base
See current membership of the Alliance here.
2018 Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance Workshop and Conference hosted by University of Nebraska at Lincoln (UNL):
2018 USSTRATCOM TABLE TOP EXERCISE (TTX):
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.