Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance
Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance Conference and Workshop 2019
ALL EVENTS ARE TAKING PLACE DESPITE BASE CLOSING AND SNOW. (3/7)
This two-day conference will feature a USSTRATCOM-hosted tabletop exercise focused on deterrence issues, along with panel presentations and workshops sessions at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. The conference will include coffee, lunch and an evening reception with keynote addresses from UNO and USSTRATCOM representatives. There is no fee to attend this conference.
Registration is now open.
Tips for Paper Authors
- Submit your paper by March 1 (maximum 10,000 words including abstract, figures, references, and appendices; double-spaced, Times New Roman, font size 12).
- Don’t try to present your entire paper. You will have 12-15 minutes to present. To prepare, create an outline of your talk, with the main points you would like to emphasize. Condense your notes into a manageable amount of information. Remember that you have a limited amount of time.
- Practice. Time yourself. Practice again in front of an audience in your department or with your colleagues. Practice speaking in front of a mirror to help with maintaining eye contact.
- Any PowerPoint slides you prepare should complement, rather than replace, your talk. Limit slides to key points and to findings that benefit from
visualdisplay. Ensure each slide is easy to read and font size is large enough for audience members sitting in the back of a typical meeting room to read.
- If using PowerPoint, arrive
tothe conference room in advance to load your slides onto a common laptop, or to ensure you can hook your laptop up to the projection system in the room. All meeting rooms are set up with a projector system.
Tips for Panel Chairs
- Papers should be presented in the order they are listed on the
program,unless the panelists request a change or the chair recommends that a different order would better suit the ensuing discussion.
- Help the panelists keep their presentations to the allotted time and remember to signal time remaining toward the end of their presentations. In order to keep the panel on schedule and ensure everyone has sufficient time, be prepared to politely but firmly ask panelists to conclude, if they have gone over their allotted time.
- Evaluate the paper and provide feedback.
- Are there specific ways the author could improve the argument or research?
- Connect the papers to the broader theme of the panel and/or deterrence. How do the papers on this panel challenge and inform each other?
- Connect the papers to the broader body of knowledge on this topic.
- At the close of your comments, suggest some questions for further research or discussion.
Information regarding registration will be provided at a later date.
|October 5, 2018||Call for paper abstracts|
|December 7, 2018||Paper abstracts due|
|January 18, 2019||Acceptance notifications and confirmation of panel members|
|February 22, 2019||Deadline for registration|
|March 1, 2019||Workshop papers submitted to panel chairs|
|March 7-8, 2019||Deterrence & Assurance Workshop and Conference|
7 March 2019: USSTRATCOM TTX will be hosted at Offutt Air Force Base.
7-8 March 2019: Reception, panel presentations and workshops will be hosted at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. Exact building and room locations will be posted in 2019.
The Residence Inn Omaha Aksarben Village has a block of rooms for conference attendees for $109 per night (3/6/19-3/8/2019). The University provides shuttle service from the hotel to the campus throughout the day.
Address: 1717 South 67th Street, Omaha, NE, 68106
If you are driving to campus to the Community Engagement Center, please consult our parking map.
Parking lot E is directly in front of the CEC. Please tell the gate attendant that you are attending the Deterrence and Assurance Conference and you will be allowed to park in the lot. There are a limited amount of parking spaces in this lot. If this parking lot is full please use Short-term parking options:
A variety of parking options are available for visitors throughout campus.
90-Minute Meters/Park Omaha App
- Lot A (North of Kayser Hall)
- Lot M (South of Criss Library)
- Online - Valid: Faculty/staff and student surface lots, West or Pacific St. Garage; Fee: $3
- Kiosk - Valid: West or Pacific St. Garage; Fee: $1/hr up to $4 daily
- Kiosk - East Garage Lot T ONLY - $5 daily during weeks 3-16 of Fall/Spring Semester
- Park Omaha App
Vaild: West or Pacific St. Garage; Fees: $1/hour up to $4 daily
- After 12:30 P.M. East Garage Park Omaha App available on all levels.
- SUMMER ONLY - All garages available for kiosk or Park Omaha daily/hourly permits
Visitor Lots (Time Restricted)
Time-restricted, visitor-only lots are available at University Village and Scott Village Clubhouses and PKI (Lot 3). No permit is required.
View the Parking Map.
The goal for the Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance is to strengthen and regularize collaborative relationships and interactions between defense and academic institutions to stimulate new thinking and develop future generations of deterrence practitioners.
Efforts include creating venues for academic communication and collaboration in the form of a website, an annual workshop, speaking engagements, a deterrence focused journal, and current and future research.
Each year, USSTRATCOM hosts a Table Top Exercise for registered participants of the Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance on Offutt Air Force Base
See current membership of the Alliance here.
2018 Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance Workshop and Conference hosted by University of Nebraska at Lincoln (UNL):
2018 USSTRATCOM TABLE TOP EXERCISE (TTX):