Online Course Development Grants
What is an Online Course Development?
Online Course Development Grants have been established to promote the development of quality online courses and programs that aim to assist with UNO strategic goals.
In an Online Course Development, faculty work with an Instructional Designer to develop a fully-online course that aligns with the quality standards and accessibility measures attached to the adapted Online SUNY Course Quality Review (OSCQR) rubric.
What is the Online Course Development Process?
- Faculty Apply for an Online Course Development Grant
- Once accepted, faculty are added to and expected to complete the “Foundations of Teaching Online” canvas course.
- The face-to-face or hybrid course receives an initial Course Design Review
- Faculty meet with an Instructional Designer to discuss the Course Design Review and make a plan for developing the fully-online course
- Faculty develop the online course with the support of the Instructional Design team
- The fully-online course receives a final Course Design Review for alignment with quality standards.
- The Instructional Designer signs off on the grant and funds are distributed
How Long Does an Online Course Development Take?
Course development must be completed within six months of grant acceptance. If it is not completed within six months, grant awards may be rescinded.
What is the Compensation for Completing an Online Course Development?
For a 3-credit course, faculty receive $3,000 they develop a new or existing course (not previously taught online) for fully-online delivery.
Faculty interested in implementing Open Educational Resources (OER), need to indicate this at the start of the grant application and coordiante with Craig Finlay, UNO's OER Coordinator in the Criss Library.
How Often Do You Review Grant Applications?
Applications will be reviewed three times a year
- February 1 (for Fall Term delivery)
- June 1 (For Spring Term delivery)
- September 1 (For Summer Term delivery)
What Are the Stipulations for Receiving an Online Course Development Grant?
Online Course Developments for faculty are available once per course, every four years.
Priority is given to applications where the course
- aligns with program/department and college goals
- goes toward completing a fully online program or fully online path to degree
- has increased course capacity and/or flexibility
Previous course offerings, rotations, instructor history, and departmental scheduling may be taken into consideration as well.