Endorsements are available at the undergraduate level in:
Endorsements offered by UNO's College of Education have been approved by the Nebraska Department of Education (NDE). An endorsement designates the area or areas in which individuals have completed coursework required by NDE and the educator preparation program. Individuals may have one, or more endorsements attached to their teaching certificates. Endorsements may be completed concurrently with initial teacher certification or may be added to a valid teaching certificate at a later date.
ELEMENTARY EDUCATION ENDORSEMENTS
Candidates completing the elementary education program will be endorsed to teach in K-6 classrooms. The program of study is divided into five areas: General Education, Related Content Courses, Professional Core Courses, Elementary Professional Teaching Courses, and a Concentration Area. The areas of Concentration enhance the knowledge, skills, and marketability of the prospective teacher. Candidates must select from one of the following areas.
- English as a Second Language Concentration
- Inclusive Practices Concentration
- School Librarian Concentration
- STEM Concentration
Candidates also may elect to complete a second endorsement as part of their elementary program. These dual endorsements require two semesters of clinical practice (student teaching) and result in two teaching endorsements on the Nebraska teaching certificate. The following dual endorsements are available.
The following second endorsement options do not require an additional semester of clinical practice (student teaching):
MIDDLE GRADES EDUCATION ENDORSEMENT
The coursework for a middle grades endorsement (grades 5-9) is divided into four areas: General Education, Content Endorsement Areas, Professional Core, and Middle Grades Professional requirements. Candidates in the middle grades endorsement must complete two content coursework areas.
SECONDARY EDUCATION ENDORSEMENTS
The coursework for a Secondary Education Endorsement is divided into four areas: General Education, Endorsement Content, Professional Core, and Secondary Professional requirements. Secondary candidates must select one of the following endorsement areas.
- Art (PK-12)
- Basic Business/Information Technology (6-12)
- Basic Business (6-12) Dual Endorsement
- Biology (7-12) with Inclusive Practices
- Biology (7-12) Dual Endorsement
- Chemistry (7-12)
- Health (7-12) and Physical Education (7-12) Dual Endorsement
- Language Arts and Secondary English (7-12)
- Mathematics (6-12)
- Physical Education (PK-6) and (7-12) Dual Endorsement
- Physics (7-12)
- Science (7-12)
- Secondary English (7-12) Dual Endorsement
- Secondary English (7-12) with Inclusive Practices
- Secondary English (7-12) with ESL Concentration
- Music (PK-12)
- Social Science (7-12)
- World Language - French (7-12)
- World Language - German (7-12)
- World Language - Spanish (7-12)
Candidates may elect to complete a second endorsement as part of their secondary education program. These dual endorsements require two semesters of clinical practice (student teaching) and result in two teaching endorsements on the Nebraska teaching certificate. The following dual endorsements are available.
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing (7-12)
- Special Education (7-12)
- School Librarian (PK-12)
- School Librarian Concentration
SPECIAL EDUCATION ENDORSEMENTS
Supplemental endorsements are content areas which can be added to a Nebraska teaching certificate in the presence of other earned endorsements. A supplemental endorsement cannot stand alone on an initial teaching certificate. The following supplemental endorsements are available.