Dual Degree Programs
MSW/MPA Dual Degree Program
The School of Public Administration and the School of Social Work at UNO collaborate to offer prospective candidates the option to receive both the Master of Public Administration (MPA) and Master of Social Work (MSW) degrees through the Dual Degree Program.
Note: Students who have already graduated with an MPA or MSW degree are ineligible for a dual degree.
Students who identify the MPA/MSW dual degree option prior to admission will complete a single application that includes:
- Graduate Application for Admission
- Graduate Application Fee
- Two official transcripts from each college/university attended
- GRE Scores
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation for MPA
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation for MSW
- MPA essay
- Social Work essay
- Updated resume or work history
The completed application will be electronically sent to both the School of Public Administration and the School of Social Work for review.
Students who decide after admission to either the Master of Public Administration or Master of Social Work Program that they want to pursue the dual degree program will need to submit a new application, application fee, and additional application materials to the appropriate department/school for review. The public administration advisor will assist public administration students and the social work advisor will assist social work students with this process.
There are two options for students entering the dual degree program, a 57 credit program and a 81 credit program. The 57 credit program is for students who have completed an accredited BSW degree. The 81 credit program is for all other students; it includes foundation course work in social work.
MSW/MPA Dual Degree Requirements
For both options, students must choose the “Integrated Practice” concentration in social work and be willing to take a minimum of two courses per semester, excluding the summer semesters.
57 Credit Program
- PA 8050 | Foundations of Public Service
- PA 8100 | Public Management & Leadership
- PA 8090 | Organizational Theory & Behavior
- PA 8300 | Policy Design & Implementation
- PA 8400 | Public & Nonprofit Budgeting
- PA 8530 | Planning & Evaluation
- PA 8320 | Policy Evaluation or SOWK 8940 | Evaluation of Social Work Programs
- PA 8990 | Capstone Project
- SOWK 8190 | Research Skills in Social Work Practice
- SOWK 8220 | Clinical Social Work with Individuals
- SOWK 8250 | Social Work Practice with Families
- SOWK 8510 | Supervision and Personnel Administration
- SOWK 8540 | Social Welfare Planning
- SOWK 8560 | Advanced Community Practice
- SOWK 8570 | Social Work Administration
- SOWK 8400 | Advanced Social Work Practicuum I
- SOWK 8410 | Advanced Social Work Practicuum II
81 Credit Program
Students must complete the courses listed in the 57 credit program, plus the following 8 courses
- SOWK 8070 | Human Behavior & Social Environment I
- SOWK 8080 | Human Behavior & Social Environment II
- SOWK 8090 | Social Policy I
- SOWK 8110 | Social Policy II
- SOWK 8130 | Generalist Practice I
- SOWK 8150 | Generalist Practice II
- SOWK 8160 | Generalist Practicuum I
- SOWK 8170 | Generalist Practicuum II