Plan for Your Future
As an academic advisor I provide students with accurate information and help students determine and evaluate their academic and career goals. The faculty in Emergency Management and Disaster Science are also available to speak with students regarding internships, careers, and mentoring. Meet your Academic Advisor.
Schedule an Advising Appointment
When Should I See an Advisor?
Emergency Management and Disaster Science has an open door policy. I am available by phone, email and in person to answer any questions. I do recommend scheduling an advising appointment each semester to ensure you are on the right track toward graduation. As your academic advisor I am here to assist you with degree planning, course scheduling, as well as addressing any questions or concerns you have regarding your major/minor, academic performance, and/or policies and procedures.
What are my Advisor's Responsibilities?
- Be knowledgeable about the program's curriculum and graduation requirements.
- Assist students in defining/developing goals.
- Connect students to available campus resources.
- Discuss links between academic and career goals.
- Communicate UNO/CPACS/Emergency Management and Disaster Science policies and procedures.
- Accurately document students' progress toward graduation.
What are my Advisee Responsibilities?
- Schedule and keep appointments with your advisor.
- Be an active participant.
- Be prepared for your advising appointments.
- Clarify goals, interests and values.
- Accept responsibility for decisions.
- Check UNO email regularly.
- Ask questions. There is no such thing as a "dumb question."
Student Learning Outcomes
- understand and assume responsibility for meeting academic program requirements
- accurately use MavLINK, MavTrack, gMAV, and Canvas
- demonstrate an understanding of university and college academic policies
- articulate academic and career goals that incorporate interests, values and skillset goals, reach decisions, and achieve those goals
- reflect on academic performance; take responsibility for making positive decisions regarding academic career
- cultivate intellectual habits that lead to lifelong learning
- become citizens that actively engage with the community
- identify and utilize appropriate campus resources
The Emergency Management and Disaster Science Academic Advisor will meet with any and all students prior to applying to UNO. Once you have decided that UNO is right for you:
- Apply Online.
- Request official transcripts from all high school and colleges previously attended, and have them mailed directly to the UNO Admissions Office. These must be received before admission to the University can be finalized.
- Submit ACT or SAT scores. These scores are required from all students with fewer than 12 hours of college level course work.
- Check your Admission Status.
- Register for placement exams via MavLINK and watch for results.
- Send in your immunizations records. For more information click here.
- Schedule Orientation via MavLINK. All new/transfer students are required to complete orientation. Orientation must be completed before seeing your Academic Advisor.
- If you are a transfer student, make an appointment with your Academic Advisor. Contact Lyndsey Rice at 402.554.4900 or email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
- Prepare for and meet with your Academic Advisor. Bring all placement exam results and your NU ID. Familiarize yourself with the UNO Catalog and schedule of classes for your selected major.